Nokon, Ilink etc...

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited June 2015 in Road general
I'm about to build a Road Logic up and really cannot decide on what cable outers to go for.
One minute I'm dead set on "standard" black outers, then I think go for some colour to make it different. I've decided on green, orange, white, then thought about Nokon style outers in silver or black!?!
I really don't whether to keep sensible or go mad!

Any ideas?

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I use Nokon (in black). I think the difference in braking feel compared to say DA9000 is minor; there is also some weight saving. The ability to adjust the length of the outer is useful, as anyone who's ever cut an outer too short will agree. You can't use the DA PTFE-coated brake cables, though, as they stick in the internal housing, so using Nokon's own or a plain stainless cable is a better bet.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Superb, thanks for that, it kind of rules them out. I'll stick to normal outers....
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,558
    you can use powercordz liner with nokon, it's much better than the nokon liner, no issues with sram red coated cable in it for instance
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've use black and silver Nokons on my gear cables, you may be able to see them in the VN image linked below. If set up properly, and that can take some time, they're great, apart from creaking sometimes. An oily rag sorts that out. I use either the Nokon cables or SRAM cables, which are fractionally thinner than Shimano/generic cables, and seem to shift better. I use silver ones for my brakes, which are virtually the same colour as the titanium frame. I bought them in unopened original packaging from a second hand shop at a bargain price :-)