HELP - Chain snapped on my Electric Commuter ?

bilabonic
bilabonic Posts: 299
edited June 2015 in The workshop
Hi All

On cycling up a medium incline hill with medium assist, i dropped down a gear and the chain snapped !!!!!

It has not broken on the 'sliding link' part but in the standard part of the chain.

It has Shimano ST derailleur and the chain is 10 speed, with a single front chain ring (not sure size)

Is this repairable or do i need to buy a new one ?

If i buy a new one will it be the correct length or do i search for the correct length ??

Can anyone please advise.

This is the bike - http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/ ... e_s10.html

Cheers
Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp

Comments

• bilabonic
    bilabonic Posts: 299
    The chain is a HG-X (VIA CN-HG75)
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    yes you need a new chain, doesn't need to be the same brand, just the right type. ie 10speed etc.

might be worth checking the cassette to see how worn it is, or getting a bike shop to do this.

The chain will need to be the right length. so will need a chain tool if you do it your self.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Chains come longer than you need, you just shorten to the right length and fit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Curious and slightly OT: Have you fitted a registration plate / insured and taxed it (although tax is probably zero)
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, wouldn't appear to be legal otherwise.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    you have to have plate/insurance/tax on electric bikes?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    you have to have plate/insurance/tax on electric bikes?

I think it is so powerful that it is designated as an electric moped - an L1Ae light powered two wheel moped. I guess it would be the same rules as sub 50cc petrol moped; no road tax for electric though
  • The Rookie
    Also quoted max speed is above the 15mph permitted for a UK electric bike, so yes, from the advert it needs registering and insurance, it would appear to qualify as a restricted scooter (power and speed) so driving licence and CBT required.