De Rosa Idol Di2 disc 2015 Upgraded and finished.

noodleman
noodleman Posts: 852
edited July 2015 in Your road bikes
20150224_161501_zpsu5oi1nvk.jpg20150224_161452_zps6d2pr0yp.jpg20150224_161316_zpsisnyqhtm.jpg
This is my De Rosa Idol. Upgraded the wheels to vision metron 40 tubulars. The bars have been replaced with Zipp service course SL, but they will be going in favour of something more narrow. The stem is a deda Quattro 2, and the seatpost is a FSA K force light which i removed the decals from as it was a bit in your face. Selle Italia SLR kit carbonio saddle and Dura ace cassette.
Hope you like it although i'm sure the discs wont be everyones cup of tea, nor maybe the mismatched kit, but its all i had knocking around the garage, which was still a hell of a lot lighter than the components it came with. Cheers20150610_184323_zpsa0pcnku6.jpg20150610_184359_zps5znnvztj.jpg20150610_190526_zps6olib74u.jpg[/url20150610_190638_zps0wnumjrq.jpg]20150610_184313_zpsl411ywft.jpg20150610_191146_zpsafxwii00.jpg
That's it now. Finally stopped tinkering. Gone from 8.8kg down to 7.1. Changed nearly everything.
Vision metron 40 disc tubular wheels
sram discs
selle italia slr kit carbonio saddle ( to be replaced with slr tekno)
Dura ace semi compact chainset
kmc dlc chain, in red and black
sram red 22 11/28 cassette
deda elementi stem
deda elementi seatpost
ritchey wcs carbon evolution sl bars
Kcnc lightweight seat clamp
Vittoria corsa elite tubular tires
bontrager race xxx lite bottle cages (on order)
Never going to be mega light but I've tried my best and it's way lighter and nicer to ride than a standard di2 disc.
Cheers.
argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
Rose pro sl disc

Comments

• holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Very, very nice.

What is making the bar tape really fat on the right of the stem?
  • Fizik bar tape. Can't remember the particular range. It's the rubbery version.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • The genius's at de rosa cut the hydraulic brake cable only long enough for narrower bars. The wider bars mean the cable is pulled downwards, which pulls on the tape making it look fatter. I'll sort something out.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Looks pure evil now! Love it!
  • noodleman
    I've finished a few more upgrades but made a hash of editing it and can't seem to repost it.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Is that rust on the chain already :?
  • ledeev
    ledeev Posts: 208
    I absolutely love this. Great setup. Spot on.
  • noodleman
    Thanks Ledeev. Appreciate the comments. Onto the next project now :wink:
    Rose pro sl disc
  • ledeev
    Thanks Ledeev. Appreciate the comments. Onto the next project now :wink:

No probs. One question, why did you opt for disc brakes?

I have them for commuting on in the winter and find that all they do is add wheel and frame weight, complexity and cost whilst offering less power in the dry over a set of decent calipers. Great in the wet though. Be interested to get your views.

Looks great though.
  • noodleman
    Went for disc brakes because I've not got them on any of the other bikes. Just wanted something different and to be honest they're brilliant. So impressed with them. All I'll say is don't knock them until you try them. Still think they'll be an option on every road bike before long.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Here is mine :-) it was a upgrade replacement from my other on that cracked

81CBF290-B4A9-46EE-A89F-FB82BBC0FBCA_zpsnqiznffe.jpg
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • noodleman
    Strange that you find caliper braking better in the dry than disc brakes Ledeev. Are yours hydraulic or cable operated? I find the stopping power and modulation way better with discs. On tight twist downhills where constant on/off braking is needed, I find one finger braking is all I need.
    I have to admit the weight of the bike was an issue, but I enjoyed making it lighter and just ordered a new set of disc rotors to take another 100g off the weight. Very expensive excersise but it was pretty heavy to start with and speccing a £3700 bike with those shimano rx31 wheels is a bit of a pi$$ take.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • ledeev
    I have a Hope V-twin on SLX floating rotors, so it's a cable / hydraulic hybrid.

Weirdly, the brake calipers are exactly the same as n my MTB, and they're incredible on there. I suspect it may be the pads or the discs to blame as I can't say I've ever been impressed with the brakes. Even with my levers to the bar I can't lock the back up! In theory, and like you say, they should wipe the floor with rim-based calipers.
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    Ledeev,

Have you looked at Hopes set up video on youtube for the Hope V-Twin? Following the setup sequence is absolutely critical to performance. I raced a Hope V-twin for a while and the performance is as good as any hydro-cable set up when spot on, brilliant feel and power. The crucial thing is setting up the cable outers with the unit in its bracket and the cables taped in place. It completely transformed mine by going through the process correctly and sequentially.

Back on topic. I have been meaning to compliment this frameset for a while. From an aesthetic point of view I think its fabulous.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Lovely builds, sorry about this questions but i am looking at getting one of these and as usual i am right inbetween sizes. My current bikes a 55.

Noodle i can see yours is a 52, how tall are you?

Sigor same question, what size is your frame?

Im tempted to go for the 52 as the 54 looks a bit long for me.
  • noodleman
    I'm 5 '8.5 mate. It's the smallest frame size I own, yet I comes up the biggest. Bigger than my 55 infinito. I'm a 32 inside leg. I'd say if your about my height, definitely go 52 at the most. I could even have gone down a size if I wanted a racier geometry and still been fairly comfortable. They do come up bigger than usual sizing. Hope this helps.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • RussAlf
    Thank you mate that has helped lots, I've been struggling to find much info about these anywhere apart form yours and Sigors posts.

I am 5' 10 with a 34 inseam, so Im all leg with a short torso, I previously had a 56 bike which I had to run a 90mm stem on, on my 55 I have a 100mm. (Both ett sizes)

If I went for the 54.5 I would have to run a 90mm stem as it has a 56cm ett. The only bit worrying me about the 52 is the low stack mainly because of the short 135mm head tube, there would be no problem getting a racier position but I'm worried it might be to low and I'll have to run a horrendous amount of spacers. I have an 8cm saddle to be drop on my current bike.

Looking at the 55 Infinito geometry that's the one I would go for.

I can't get to see one of these anywhere near me so I'm trying to visualise it with your pictures, do you know your centre of bb to saddle height when measured along the seat tube? And your saddle to bar drop?
  • noodleman
    I'll send you all the measurements later on this afternoon mate. For what its worth, iv'e got loads of seatube length left available.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • RussAlf
    That would brilliant if you could please mate, thanks.
  • noodleman
    Ok Russalf. Here's my measurements. Probably not the most scientific method but here goes
    top of saddle to centre of bb=28.5 inches. Loads of tube left to extend if needed
    top centre of seatube to centre of hoods ie reach=32 inch although my reach is further as I have layback seatpost.
    Centre of seatpost to centre of bars=25 inch
    6 inch drop from saddle to bars with 30 mm of spacers
    stand over height lowest point 30 inches. Highest point 31.4 inches
    Hope this helps a bit. Cheers.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • RussAlf
    Huge thank you that has really helped me, comparing them with my current I think I will go for the 52.

Already have some wheels to switch out.
  • noodleman
    No worries. I was going to suggest the 52.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    what a smasher!
  • RussAlf
    Many thanks again for the sizing help, fits a treat, few bits to change yet and a wheel build.

19739734255_22e3154789_c.jpg
  • noodleman
    Your'e welcome. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, once you change those wheels.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • RussAlf
    Wheels have already gone, they are some old Kinesis crosslights on there now, not bad wheels at 1600g, saved 400g.

Going to do another build with deeper carbon rims.