2015 Specialized Roubaix Elite (edited)

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited June 2015 in Your road bikes
I'm now officially overbiked:
Image%2008s_zps34d85jku.jpg?t=1426509395
Specialized Roubaix Elite

Changes to the stock specification are:
- 48/36 chainrings instead of 50/34 (still Praxis Works)
- Shimano A600 pedals
- Elite bottle cage
- Moon rear light and Hope front (until Summer)
- (23rd March) I couldn't resist tinkering, and put a set of Kool-stop salmon brake pads on instead of the stock Shimano ones.

Supplied by Leisure Wheels of Hemel Hempstead who supplied it at a great price and managed to have the bike in my hands within three days of it arriving in the country. They also changed the chainrings free of charge, which was very nice of them.

A closer range at the front means that the change from one ring to another needs only to be accompanied by two clicks at the rear to make a proper sequential shift, which makes the whole process easier when you want to maintain momentum. One of those weird personal preference things.

This is a huge upgrade from my previous bike, a 2007 Tricross Sport (now far more of a road bike than a cyclocrosser). The frame is much stiffer – where the Tricross absorbed pedalling effort, the Roubaix transfers it directly to the wheels – while at the same time giving a smoother ride. Bad tarmac feels like good tarmac and good tarmac feels like glass, so it's easier and more comfortable to go fast.

The wheels look slightly alarming, having only a couple more spokes between them than I once thought was customary for a single wheel, but I’ll move with the times and stick with them while they stay together. The brakes are a huge improvement over the Tricross’s cantilevers, even with the standard pads and not enough time yet to bed them in. I may change the pads to my favourite Kool-stop ones, but there’s plenty of time for that. (Edited: there may have been plenty of time, but I got impatient. The Kool-stop pads are much better in both the strength of the braking and the degree of modulation) The saddle looks unforgiving, but is very comfortable. YBMV. The CG-R seatpost is obviously a help here.

(23rd March edit) A few impressions after a few short (20k, 30k, thereabouts) rides
You can tell how effectively the frame smooths the ride by looking at the patch of light on the road ahead of you - there's hardly a twitch unless you hit a pothole. The apparently under-spoked wheels feel very strong and solid and the slightly longer frame makes for a more comfortable position than the Tricross. I could do with lowering the bars a couple of spacers, though. The way it feels climbing hills is almost as impressive as the way it seems to smooth out rough tarmac.
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Following a recent controversy about people not liking other peoples' bikes, I have decided to respond properly to the total and utter lack of interest in my lovely new bike:

gracious.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • johnnyhotdog
    johnnyhotdog Posts: 142
    There's not enough red, you peasant.

(Am I doing it right?)
  • Giraffoto
    Thank you for your insightful constructive criticism. I shall go straight to B&Q and get a big bucket of red and a roller.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    edited June 2015
    OpenCarrybike010.jpg[/img]

You English are far too civilised. Anyone critiques my ride and i end em. Period.

Hell breathe wrongly and I'll be reaching for my weapon for the disrespect shown me.

Personally i think the wheel decals look cheap, the hoods look like sex aids and it looks as if a gymp routed your cables.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Can you change the stem?
    Also, remember it doesn't matter if you like it or not the judgement of the internet is more important.
  • Giraffoto
    . . . Personally i think the wheel decals look cheap . . .

And you a fellow Roubaix owner - I feel betrayed. In fact, as soon as the wheels are out of warranty I plan to peel the stickers off. And lower the stem a bit. Nothing to do with personal taste, I just have to do what the internet tells me.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • johnnyhotdog
    johnnyhotdog Posts: 142
    Thank you for your insightful constructive criticism. I shall go straight to B&Q and get a big bucket of red and a roller.

Please don't. That looks great and like a lot of fun - I bet it feels a bit different to a Tri-Cross! Hopefully the weather will significantly improve for you to enjoy it to it's fullest. :)