Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    No these things are not bad (if indeed they are true?) but i'm not really sure how anyone can crow about where this country is heading at the moment, low wages, propped up by state intervention on a Cuban style, a failing education system, inequality, cuts to adult and child social care (leaving more kids and adults at risk of abuse) and productivity way behind our competitors, you can believe the xxxx from Osborne but the reality for millions is very different.
    Although presumably not so bad for enough people to return an absolute majority for the Tories. Despite your and Pinno's attempts to continually do this country down, the general election results don't lie. We won for a reason :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Oh yes forgot about housing!
    Berlin is introducing rent controls as they seen the mess London heading ie essential workers cannot live and therefore afford to work in the capitol, great if you have an accident and no one can scrap you off the roads or schools with no teachers? Hospitals with no porters or nurses? but wasnt it Cameron who said that this is Communist doctrine, from Venezuela? no doubt just to keep his landlord tory voting chums onside? so xxxx whats good for the country, lets just do whats good for us haves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/news/11645625/berlin-rent-control-law-housing-crisis.html

but tbh Stevo, i think Rick was spot on about you, and so any reasoned argument is wasted on you :shock:
  • Stevo_666
    Five years ago I got to enjoy, no, endure a speech by Dave Nellist, who had been a Labour MP during the 80s.
    These people should be encouraged to speak at every opportunity. I had never heard such vicious bile in all my life. Let the people know what they really stand for.
    And some people want the Labour Party to go back to these 'traditional' values espoused in the 70s and 80s? FFS!!!

Of course, there were no Tories in the 70's and 80's that came up with equally viscous bile was there? :roll:

You really had to be there, Pina. Joking aside for your admiration of Lady T, this was a different league.
    Bally, now you've listened to some of the ideas that some this lot have, don't you think you need to sign up and pay your £3 now? :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Who knew Liberal Democrats held the political democratic process in such high esteem eh?

It's pathetic if you are serious about voting in the labour election just to screw them.

If you did it to get a rise on a forum, then well done. d9.gif
  • Stevo_666
    Oh yes forgot about housing!
    Berlin is introducing rent controls as they seen the mess London heading ie essential workers cannot live and therefore afford to work in the capitol, great if you have an accident and no one can scrap you off the roads or schools with no teachers? Hospitals with no porters or nurses? but wasnt it Cameron who said that this is Communist doctrine, from Venezuela? no doubt just to keep his landlord tory voting chums onside? so xxxx whats good for the country, lets just do whats good for us haves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/news/11645625/berlin-rent-control-law-housing-crisis.html

but tbh Stevo, i think Rick was spot on about you, and so any reasoned argument is wasted on you :shock:
    You're so ungrateful, I'm supporting Jeremy corbyn who you said sounded like a sound bloke :lol:

Keep on deluding yourself that we're in such a dreadful state if you want, it's a free country. Like I said above and I'll say it again - if things were that bad, why did the Tories win so decisively and Labour get hammered?

And you haven't answered my question about the big tory tax bribe - which one was it?? :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Who knew Liberal Democrats held the political democratic process in such high esteem eh?

It's pathetic if you are serious about voting in the labour election just to screw them.

If you did it to get a rise on a forum, then well done. d9.gif
    55349617.jpg

If you couldn't pick up on the intended tone of this thread from the initial post then you were missing some pretty obvious clues :roll:

Labour don't need screwing, they will do that themselves so I don't need to get involved. Doesn't mean I won't enjoy seeing them implode :twisted:
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Five years ago I got to enjoy, no, endure a speech by Dave Nellist, who had been a Labour MP during the 80s.
    These people should be encouraged to speak at every opportunity. I had never heard such vicious bile in all my life. Let the people know what they really stand for.
    And some people want the Labour Party to go back to these 'traditional' values espoused in the 70s and 80s? FFS!!!

Of course, there were no Tories in the 70's and 80's that came up with equally viscous bile was there? :roll:

You really had to be there, Pina. Joking aside for your admiration of Lady T, this was a different league.

Come on Bally, in retrospect you did refer to an era of entrenched ideology that did the country no good whatsoever and now we have almost no discernible ideology apart from something that resembles neo-liberalism which again, is doing the country no good. How Ironic.
    I heard some of this stuff too, having lived in the North East for a lot of that time. And there is nothing quite like the bile of wannabe class warriors with chips on their shoulders.

At present we have falling unemployment, low inflation, healthy GDP growth and rising wages. Are you saying that these things are bad? This horrid 'neo-liberalism eh. I think need to tell us what illiberal things you would put in place to cure the economic good news we are getting at present :wink:

Falling unemployment from zero hours contracts and more part time positions. That will add real revenue increases, won't it?
    NHS busting at the seams and there's not a cats chance in hell they will attempt to address the causes.
    Housing policy - not even the whiff of a comprehensive attempt to address the issue in sight. Landlords allowed to charge what the hell they like without putting rent controls on them, adding to the housing crises.
    More public sector and welfare cuts on the horizon.
    Barely a rap on the knuckles for the banks that caused this mess.

There's another factor - low inflation, caused by a global drop in crude oil prices - nothing to do with the Tory party's policies.

Homelessness on the increase, the increase fell slightly back on (2013/2014) but on the increase overall for 5 years running:

http://www.crisis.org.uk/data/files/publications/Homelessness_Monitor_England_2015_final_web.pdf

Male suicide rates in the UK, higher in 2013 (latest figures) than 2001.

http://www.samaritans.org/sites/default/files/kcfinder/branches/branch-96/files/Suicide_statistics_report_2015.pdf

Obesity through the roof:

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB16988/obes-phys-acti-diet-eng-2015.pdf

When are the neo-liberals and the neo-cons going to stop:

A. Harping on about the Labour administrations of old (there has not been one since 1979).
    B. Harping on about how the economy is doing so well followed by the 'we all benefit from the money that is being made...filter down effect...bollox blah bollox' argument that is deeply flawed.
    C. Realise that it we are definitely not living in a rosy Tory Utopia and there are flaws in this administration and it is flawed relativism to suggest that it is better than...'a labour government would do'.

All excellent points

I'm really bored of listening to people reeling off supposed Tory achievements without scratching beneath the surface of the vaneer...

The poorest people in the country are going to continue suffering for the mistakes of the richest...

Maybe ultimately we should just accept humans are inherently selfish and vote conservative. Because a vote for conservative will always be a vote for the interests of a few over the interests of the many. Thats fine if that's your choice. We get the politicians we deserve as they say. Just don't complain when you are paying more for a worse, private health care system, your being policed by a private security firm, and your children are working jobs with zero employee rights!

/rant
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • rick_chasey
    Should start a stand up with those great jokes mate.

SIMON_3000609c.jpg
  • Finesilver24
    Finesilver24 Posts: 140
    TurboTommy wrote:
    The poorest people in the country are going to continue suffering for the mistakes of the richest...
    To be fair, they could put a bit more effort into keeping their front gardens a bit neater. I just bought a buy-to-let and the condition of the social housing gardens up the road is a disgrace. It's affecting my rent.
  • Stevo_666
    Should start a stand up with those great jokes mate.
    You're right, I should leave to the real jokers.

Liberal-Democrat-leader-and-Deputy-Prime-Minister-Nick-Clegg.jpg
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    TurboTommy wrote:
    To be fair, they could put a bit more effort into keeping their front gardens a bit neater. I just bought a buy-to-let and the condition of the social housing gardens up the road is a disgrace. It's affecting my rent.

Well done. You seem to have found the sense of humour that others must have dropped on the way to the forum. :lol:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    TurboTommy wrote:

Well done. You seem to have found the sense of humour that others must have dropped on the way to the forum. :lol:

Errr... pot kettle the calling black the, comes to mind:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    TurboTommy wrote:

Errr... pot kettle the calling black the, comes to mind:

Fair play, guilty of posting a serious post. My dummy is still in place though, unlike the idiot calling others an idiot.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    Yes, let's be ruled for Etonians forever.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Funnily enough, when I'm considering who to vote for, my first thoughts are things like "can they run the country?"; "what are their policies?" and "are they honest?".
    "Where did they go to school?" is a question that would be asked by snobs, people with massive chips on their shoulders, and people blinded by the current obsession with identity politics. I doubt if anyone in the whole country is genuinely advocating Etonocracy.
  • Finesilver24
    Finesilver24 Posts: 140
    Funnily enough, when I'm considering who to vote for, my first thoughts are things like "can they run the country?"; "what are their policies?" and "are they honest?".
    ....which is the reason Labour floundered so badly and the Lib Dems got annihilated. The Tories won because the opposition was so poor.
  • Stevo_666
    Apparently Jeremy Corbyn was put forward as a cynical ploy to make Andy Burnham look relatively less left wing. Anyone with any lingering doubts that Labour don't deserve Corbyn can now put their minds at rest and register. Power to the people :)
  • pinno
    Apparently Jeremy Corbyn was put forward as a cynical ploy to make Andy Burnham look relatively less left wing. Anyone with any lingering doubts that Labour don't deserve Corbyn can now put their minds at rest and register. Power to the people :)

All 36% of them?
  • ballysmate

All 36% of them?

That's all we need. :wink:
  • Stevo_666

All 36% of them?
    Is there some secret political society whose purpose is 'Whingeing about how unfair the electoral system is when the election result doesn't go your way'? And is membership restricted to lefties? :wink:

We won. You lost. Tough s**t. And if Corbyn gets in, looks like things will stay that way. Spread the word.
  • pinno

All 36% of them?
    Is there some secret political society whose purpose is A 'Whingeing about how unfair the electoral system is when the election result doesn't go your way'? And is membership restricted to lefties? :wink:

B We won. You lost. Tough s**t. C. And if Corbyn gets in, looks like things will stay that way. Spread the word.

A. I didn't.
    B. It's not a game of footy.
    C. All political parties need opposition because without that we would not have a democracy.
    D. You are a humourless git (ironic given your previous responses to serious comments).
  • Stevo_666
    If this thread was really a subtle psychological experiment to demonstrate that lefties have no sense of humour it would have served its purpose by now :wink: And don't get me started on the bad loser thing :)
  • rick_chasey
    Different humour innit.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

All 36% of them?
    Is there some secret political society whose purpose is 'Whingeing about how unfair the electoral system is when the election result doesn't go your way'? And is membership restricted to lefties? :wink:

We won. You lost. Tough s**t. And if Corbyn gets in, looks like things will stay that way. Spread the word.

As the great Stanley Mathews said "its how you win, that counts" and a majority is not 36%, regardless of the outcome.
    and as an accountant, aren't you? i am surprised you use such language to make your point.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    "Where did they go to school?" is a question that would be asked by snobs, people with massive chips on their shoulders, and people blinded by the current obsession with identity politics. I doubt if anyone in the whole country is genuinely advocating Etonocracy.

And what are the chances of the best people to run the country all coming from the same school?

It's not about having a chip on the shoulder or being a snob it's about trying to build a society that is fair so your and my kids have the same chances as the kids of David, Boris and Gideon.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Stevo_666

All 36% of them?

As the great Stanley Mathews said "its how you win, that counts" and a majority is not 36%, regardless of the outcome.
    and as an accountant, aren't you? i am surprised you use such language to make your point.
    For the point about 'how you win' to be relevant, you need to win - not sure you get many people saying 'it's how you lose that counts'...

And you saw my point above about why Corbyn was put forward as a leadership candidate - maybe you should ask Labour the same question :wink:

Although as I already said, how we did it was following the same rules as everyone else...
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    This a stupid thread. The election was back in May, so if this is a gloat about the Tories winning,
    it's kind of late. If it's an attempt at being funny, subtly or otherwise ("where's your sense of humour, eh .. eh) it's a fail.

Nations generally benefit from having a healthy opposition to the government, how does Labour being hopeless help the nation? Parties in power that are unchallenged electorally tend to abuse their power. Meanwhile, the UK remains the most unequal country in the EU. There are still way too many people not making a value added contribution the economy. The Tories will address the deficit, which is good, but they won't change Britain's hallmark inequality or broaden the skills base or improve social mobility, etc. Like their 'greenest government in Europe' pledge' to help get themselves elected in 2010 (renewables subsidies now being cut), they are as untrustworthy as any other party and they remain the political wing of the hedge fund industry. Funny, eh.
    :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Judging by some of the reactions above, it seems to be hitting the spot...although interesting that even people who appear to be Labour supporters concede that having Corbyn in charge will damage Labour's effectiveness in opposition/electoral chances.

The 'Tories for Corbyn' campaign seems to be gathering a fair bit of momentum in the media :) :
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/16/jeremy-corbyn-labour-leadership-conservatives-twitter
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11680098/Why-are-so-many-Tories-joining-Labour-after-Jeremy-Corbyns-leadership-announcement.html
    http://order-order.com/2015/06/23/labour-admit-they-cant-stop-tories-voting-for-corbyn/
    http://rt.com/uk/267787-corbyn-tories-vote-leadership/
    http://www.itv.com/news/2015-06-16/could-the-tories-hijack-labours-leadership-contest/

Go Jezza.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Crap like this makes me ashamed to be British...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Helping kick a bunch of people down even further when they're already in the worst position they've been in for 2 decades.

Sounds like standard Tory behaviour to me.