Any good thin rubber road tyres?

conquest1989
conquest1989 Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello

I recently bought "Continental Grand Prix 4000s II" 25mm clincher tyres for both rear and front wheels, but I have a problem where if I pump the rear tyre, it touches the frame(slightly, but noticeable). I have a 50cm frame size and I assembled the road bike myself.

Does anyone know a brand, make or sizes where they make thinner rubber road tyres?

Thanks
Bobby

Comments

• iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Virtually all tyre manufacturers have the 700x23C (23mm) size- if there is a standard road bike size then that would be it.

If you're only just touching with a 25C (25mm) tyre then you should get away with a 23C.
    You must have ludicrously tight frame clearances for the 25C tyres to rub- the frame size and putting it together yourself doesn't make any difference.
  • Hey iron-clover, I'll try a 23mm size then. Yeah it's a super tight frame!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Any gravel or grit that the tyre picks up will be scratching the frame then I think.

I know really close clearances were very IN in the 80's - but I don't think its in fashion today - a bit more clearance is supposed to be more aero and you can fit wider tyres.

What is the frame ? Custom ? What kind of drop outs ? Horizontal or Vertical ?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Vittoria Corsa SC tyre is probably the best clincher out there in terms of ride quality. It really is as good as many tubs and the 25mm is relatively shallow so that might work for you. The downsides are that puncture resistance is minimal (but it does work), durability is low and they cost a packet. I use them for my best bike on smiley days. Others I know just race on them as they are pretty fast but, more importantly, look great with tan walls (you can ride like a pro...only slower :wink: )
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,751
    The Vittoria Corsa SC tyre is probably the best clincher out there in terms of ride quality. It really is as good as many tubs and the 25mm is relatively shallow so that might work for you. The downsides are that puncture resistance is minimal (but it does work), durability is low and they cost a packet. I use them for my best bike on smiley days. Others I know just race on them as they are pretty fast but, more importantly, look great with tan walls (you can ride like a pro...only slower :wink: )

Yeah I race on 25mm CXs and like them, don't find the puncture protection too bad (or I'm just lucky) but probably do wear a bit faster than say Pro4 service course.

Think Ribble may have some twin packs of Vittoria Open Corsa (not sure if cx or sc but I think they are very similar) for around £55 - not sure if they had the tan walls though. Veloflex make similar models.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]