Garmin maps - possible to edit?

JackPozzi
JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
edited June 2015 in Road general
Using an Edge 1000, so it's got the OSM maps installed as standard...

For my longer rides, I tend to have a set duration in mind so I'll ride out sticking vaguely to one direction for about half the planned time then start looping round and set the garmin to get me home. On the route back yesterday it tried to send me down a road that was actually a gated off farm track so I had to turn around and find an alternative route to get back on track. Not a huge problem but would rather avoid things like that so wondering if it's possible to edit the maps at all to mark that section as not a road? Have already been on the OSM site and added a note to that section but guessing that will take a while to be verified and edited on the official map....

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    If you edit the OSM map it will probably take a while before the changes make their way to the Garmin version. You can of course download relevant OSM maps form other sources and use them with your Garmin. If you wait a couple of days after your edit and download the latest maps then any changes will be there.

If you have added a gate etc then you you will have to hope whatever map you do use actually notices the restriction and does not route down it though. Adding a note to the OSM maps won't actually do anything though. You have to change the relevant way tags and add the barrier (gate).

This is a good source of OSM based maps that you can download in Garmin friendly formats: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    this is part of the 'fun' of going out without a paper map. ;-)

no map/routing solution is ever going to 100% accurate. until you know all the roads in your area you are basically exploring, once you know all the roads you won't need the garmin to give you a route.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My Garmin routinely tries to send me down a footpath. Peering down it I think it would be a challenge for a walker it's so overgrown! I've checked on OSM and it's correctly tagged as a footpath and not for bicycles so there's something else going on but I don't know what.

I already have my Edge Touring set up to avoid rough tracks. It doesn't have the option of telling it I'm a car (this apparently works on other Garmins0