Making cycle lanes mandatory!

jzed
jzed Posts: 2,926
edited June 2015 in Commuting chat
Just chanced on this indicating Boris wants to make riding the segregated lanes on superhighways mandatory:

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2015-06-09/cyclists-who-fail-to-use-dedicated-lanes-could-be-fined/

First 100 meters of the new CS2 has opened and is poor. Pedestrians constantly in it. Litter everywhere. Oh and it starts with an uneven drain which takes up half of the bike lane. Oh and not to mention it zig zagging in and out of trees. I'd taken to using the bus lane but seems if Boris gets his way I'll get fined. ****er

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm sure you can claim your human rights are being infringed in some way :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Don't worry.
    Boris will never catch you.

Seriously though, there are enough of the population that believe this to be a good idea that we should be worried.
    They want us off the road and this is the perfect excuse.
    It is also why I am against cycle lanes. The thin end of the wedge.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Might stop you crashing into poor helpless cars all the time
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926

Don't count on it. This new junction is set up for left hooks.

in_content.jpg?1432120746
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    S'what London gets for voting in a f*cking moron.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Given the lightning pace at which segregated cycle lanes are being constructed, I don't think we have much to fear - using a cycle lane for a mile or two is hardly the worst thing in the world, nothing stopping you taking a different route, and it isn't like we don't already have driver vigilante's like that 'Master' butcher trying to force us into them.

Aren't there already bus lanes that you can get fined for using? That's the more annoying thing to be quite honest.

Still, just think of the youtube potential: https://youtu.be/bzE-IMaegzQ
  • itboffin
    S'what London gets for voting in a f*cking moron.

Which one there's so many to choose from
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    From the article
    Cyclists would be absolutely crazy not to use safe cycle superhighways.

– Boris Johnson, Mayor of London
    So there's actually no quote from Boris saying that cycle lanes would be mandatory....

On another note, the cycle superhighways aren't necessarily safe and in many parts are homicidal!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    sigh. And ITV have signed up to the language...
    fully segregated bike lanes where a physical barrier protects cyclists from other traffic
    Some existing bike lanes are also being upgraded to fully-segregated status.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Just East of PS you can see the outline of the new cycle lane and it looks very narrow for two lanes
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941

Don't count on it. This new junction is set up for left hooks.

in_content.jpg?1432120746

Its even worse than that - as well as the quick right left out of Plumber's Row, which is used for avoiding New/Vallance Road and/or Brick Lane when heading from Commercial Road to back of Brick Lane, its also used as a right turn from City heading traffic to cut round the back to Shoreditch, so as to avoid Whitechapel Hi St/Commercial Street. Its a well known and busy rat run. I used to use it all the time. Just wait until its a Holy Day at the London Mosque - traffic is a nightmare.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    This story was quickly rebuked on LFGSS as bollocks. The answer is no, no they won't...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    This story was quickly rebuked on LFGSS
    Bad story!! Don't do that again!!

you possibly mean refuted
  • itboffin
    bloody cyclist taking up all the road and now they get dedicated lanes ...they dont even pay road tax! :roll:
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    need more than just a byelaw to do that, as far as i'm aware. it seem improbable that the time to pass such a law or the will to do it is there.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    It's almost irrelevant whether or not the new segregated lanes are mandatory. The fact that a whole lane has been "taken away from motor vehicles" to create the new lanes means there will be an increase in the number of motorists, particularly those in black cabs and white vans, who think it's fair game to punish any cyclist chosing to ride in the road. I reckon the segregated lanes will be safer for cyclists, purely because the road will have become far more dangerous.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    As long as we're not forced to use the piece or rubbish along the side of Priory Lane!

It's why I'm also against segregated cycle lanes.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    As long as we're not forced to use the piece or rubbish along the side of Priory Lane!

It's why I'm also against segregated cycle lanes.

I used it to get around the roadworks last night and it really is horrific... I would rather risk being murdered by the meat cleaver madman. I reckon if they abandoned the cycle lane and used the space to widen the road cars could overtake cyclist safely.
  • itboffin
    not only should they be mandatory but also covered over to protect us from the rain/wind and a prevailing tailwind should be piped through them, naturally you'd need a one way system for this to work.

itboffin for transport minister i say 8)
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    not only should they be mandatory but also covered over to protect us from the rain/wind and a prevailing tailwind should be piped through them, naturally you'd need a one way system for this to work.

I had a similar plan that involved using the tube lines.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716

I had a similar plan that involved using the tube lines.

If they stripped out those silly rails and you got left with a nice smooth circular cross section you could ride up the side at corners. Itboffin for Transport minister - jds for Prime Minister
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Not really happy about this. Got b%llocked out by someone last night when I rode over Kingston bridge, whilst not using the cycle lane.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Not really happy about this. Got b%llocked out by someone last night when I rode over Kingston bridge, whilst not using the cycle lane.
    I stopped a driver for going the wrong way down a one way street, told him he might have seen the signs if he wasn't on his phone. As I was telling him a ped had a go at me for not being in the cycle lane. :roll:
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I always use the road rather than the cycle lanes over Kingston Bridge, once every couple of months I get drivers objecting. Last one was a scaffolding lorry.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • itboffin
    Did I mention under my rule beer would be free?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I always use the road rather than the cycle lanes over Kingston Bridge, once every couple of months I get drivers objecting. Last one was a scaffolding lorry.

I used to use the road there nearly 100% the time on the fast SS I had.

Now on the old MTB I tend to use the cyclepath though not always, I detest the way the cycle path joins Hampton Court road so tend to either go via the zebra's to Bushy Park or roll up to Hampton Court via the tow path.

On the whole with the old MTB more cycle paths are useable, not all are slower, take the shared path from Hampton Court to the Hampton gate, if it's busy I'll pass even spirited filters on road bikes as I pootle along the path.

I'm genrally no slower start to finish across london on the MTB though thats due to traffic, and the fact I've always been fairly careful filtering.