The day after Sunday but before Tuesday.

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 7,977
edited June 2015 in The bottom bracket
Morning keyboard whores, hows tricks?

A fairly fast (for me at least) 35km ride this morning blew the red wine cobwebs out of my system, salmon fish for lunch and off out this afternoon to view some machinery.
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Early get up to leave the North for work, sat on the M6, took a swig of the coffee my lovely date had made for me, only to wish I could spit it out. She should stick to tea. I appreciated the gesture though.

Quite day in the office, makes me nervous.

Missed my Sunday ride for brunch in Whalley (good brunch just wish I had cycled there to allow for the indulgence) so may start taking my bike north for these occasions.

I really should start cycling to work, even from the halfway point (avoid the uphill start where getting sweaty will happen)
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks.
    Why's it still so sodding cold? Not a bad ride in this morning, I really should leave earlier and take a slightly longer route in though. Problem is the longer routes are not as nice. Maybe just a lap of Richmond Park, then off to work. But it's a whole half mile in the wrong direction and I enjoy lying in bed so very much.
    Not much going on today thankfully. Several cups of tea have been drunk, with biscuits of course. Soon be time for lunch, mmmmm....
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Day off today, so far, had a nice walk with the The Hound followed by some coffee and some mega law breakin' speeds on the moto - sickle: newly sorted brakes, suspension re set up and tyres inflated - forgotten how good it feels when it all comes together at go to prison straight away type speeds.

Off to do some turbo training and weights now, followed by lunch, some coffee and TDV's children type activities.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Looks like a spot of fishing is on the cards this evening with the boy so thats good!

Purchases so far have been some slicks for MrsHD's 29er.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Matthewfalle

ZX6R - 165 mph, .73 pence per mph fully comp insurance each year, fast enough to have a laugh and rev the tits off it whilst it handles perfectly, not as unusuable as a litre bike (done it and don't really miss it most f the time tbh).

Brakes, tyres, suspension all perfectly set up for me and my roads - nothing else needed methinks.

Was looking at a K5 Gixer thou but would only a) use about 2.3% of its performance and b) smash myself up horribly.

Race bike should be on the road this summer hopefully - now that should be fun.

And when I do smash the 6 up, it's only a Jap 600 so I don't really care - just go down the shop and buy another.

Then again, chuck me one of those MV 600 triple jobs and TDDFS and I'll never leave the garage......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    600s are a good compromise for UK roads. Small and light, but still fast as fook. My Ducati SS wasn't as quick as a Jap 600, but it had loads of grunt and sounded like the end of the world was coming. Plenty fast enough for me though. Neighbours complained when I sold it as they overslept and were late for work without my alarm call. MVs are gorgeous, worth selling a child for.
    I was given a Daytona 1200 to use a while back. Fast as the Millenium Falcon, and just as heavy. Way too much bike for around here.
  • Matthewfalle
    Agree completely - I've done an R1 (lunacy), my old SRAD 750 was too barmy really (nothing, nothing, nothing, hit 8,000 rpm and you get a billion hp at once. Great fun though).

The 600 handles really well, goes well and it doesn't red line until 14k so you can play silly buggers.

I had a 998 for a weekend - that was stunning. Beautiful in every respect but within an afternoon the brake lights had stopped working and then it started leaking coolant - and this was a brand new demonstrator. I also got chased at 140mph 30 minutes after picking it up, so for a man of my limited self control a complete liability. Crazy that it was so easy to ride so fast though.

Tempted to go on weight saving mission on the 6 - lose 20kg and see how it feels, Done over time it shouldn't be too expensive either - full system off ebay, some ali yokes, ali clip ons, one of those Carlos Fandango lighter batteries, lose the rear pegs, that sort of job. Keep it looking standard but lose loads of weight.

Think the only think holding it back then will be lack of suspension settings to account for lighter weight with standard suspension.................

Best thing I've ever had was my old Bob Farnham TDR265 with Billet 6 pots and Am22/23 race tyres. Now that made you cack yourself with laughter every time you rode it. Did the old Paris ring road trick on it racing a friend on his first generation R1. Utterly brilliant fun. Wheelied and endoed everywhere even if you didn't want to.

Getting the race bike on the road should provide smiles though :)

What you need is as SS Superlight. Go on, you know it makes sense.......................

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Flâneur
    hey petrol heads, random question as I thought about it sat in traffic today. Doesn't the stop/start function on newer cars destroy the starter motor?
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • veronese68
    What you need is as SS Superlight. Go on, you know it makes sense.......................
    With a flat slide carb conversion. :mrgreen:
    A friend of mine does motorbike suspension for road and race bikes, sometimes goes to track days to do set ups. Not very local to you though.
    TDRs are great bikes, brother in law had one in Padova. Ideal for town based lunacy. Fastest bike I've ever ridden in town was a KTM525SMR, it weighed 107kg with a full tank of juice. Had it for a week and was happy to give it back with my licence intact.

SAE20w/50SJ/CF yes, stop start will knacker a starter more as it gets used more. And the starters are more expensive due to additional complications. Win-win as far as the manufacturers are concerned.
  • Matthewfalle
    With a flat slide carb conversion. :mrgreen:
    A friend of mine does motorbike suspension for road and race bikes, sometimes goes to track days to do set ups. Not very local to you though.
    TDRs are great bikes, brother in law had one in Padova. Ideal for town based lunacy. Fastest bike I've ever ridden in town was a KTM525SMR, it weighed 107kg with a full tank of juice. Had it for a week and was happy to give it back with my licence intact.

SAE20w/50SJ/CF yes, stop start will knacker a starter more as it gets used more. And the starters are more expensive due to additional complications. Win-win as far as the manufacturers are concerned.

Many thanks re suspension referral - race bike is full Maxton hand built to suit my weight/roads/rubbish riding style so should be a giggle. May get around to doing the 6 or may just spunk the money on bicycles and pork scratchings......

Go on - get the SS S/L - you know it makes sense :) Carpe diem and all that. Or get TDR and I'll get one and we'll chase each other down ...........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    edited June 2015
    Agree completely - I've done an R1 (lunacy), my old SRAD 750 was too barmy really (nothing, nothing, nothing, hit 8,000 rpm and you get a billion hp at once. Great fun though).

The 600 handles really well, goes well and it doesn't red line until 14k so you can play silly buggers.

I had a 998 for a weekend - that was stunning. Beautiful in every respect but within an afternoon the brake lights had stopped working and then it started leaking coolant - and this was a brand new demonstrator. I also got chased at 140mph 30 minutes after picking it up, so for a man of my limited self control a complete liability. Crazy that it was so easy to ride so fast though.

Tempted to go on weight saving mission on the 6 - lose 20kg and see how it feels, Done over time it shouldn't be too expensive either - full system off ebay, some ali yokes, ali clip ons, one of those Carlos Fandango lighter batteries, lose the rear pegs, that sort of job. Keep it looking standard but lose loads of weight.

Think the only think holding it back then will be lack of suspension settings to account for lighter weight with standard suspension.................

Best thing I've ever had was my old Bob Farnham TDR265 with Billet 6 pots and Am22/23 race tyres. Now that made you cack yourself with laughter every time you rode it. Did the old Paris ring road trick on it racing a friend on his first generation R1. Utterly brilliant fun. Wheelied and endoed everywhere even if you didn't want to.

Getting the race bike on the road should provide smiles though :)

I know what you mean, I went from a 848 to a 1198s with the latter as a disguise for the Starship Enterprise. The tuneable suspension was much better but I missed revving through the gears on the 848 which was a much more engaging ride. Do that on the 1198s and you were looking a stupid speeds on a highway which is why i sold up as I couldn't tighten that nut in my head.

Track days are great fun and one of the best long weekends I've enjoyed was two days tuition at Jerez with the California Superbike School and one day's free track. Track days in the UK are fine as long as you know which company is the tool magnet.

The scary thing is I've taken to visiting the Harley site and most embarrassingly was caught by my teen daughter who accused me of a mid life crisis. I think an aero bike would do me better and scratch that middle aged itch.....
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Matthewfalle
    Agree - sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. As the saying goes, anyone can make a big bike go fast: not everyone can make a small bike go fast. Especially round the bendy bits, and they, as we all know, is where the fun lies :)

Then again, the 1198 is meant to be an absolute rocket ship, so fair play there.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Glad I went down the 4 wheeled performance route rather than the 2 wheeled, otherwise I probably wouldn't be here now. Still like the idea of a good Jap sports bike - nearest you can get F1 out of the box. I know I'll never get one though, so will need to get something a bit faster the next time I buy a car. The trackday itch has been scratched so a good road car will do nicely.

Nout to report here apart from a slow pedal in this morning but a much more energetic one back this evening.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Morning folks.
    Why's it still so sodding cold? ....

Summat to do with the jet stream being in the wrong place sucking cold air from the Norf.

Not much to report here. Supposed to be a week off but spent tying up loose strings. Picked brother up from coach stop as he is over here from NZ. Being there has made him odd, speak funny and he is very very unshaven. It will take a few weeks to tame him.

I've posted a pic in the caption comp - ideal for mf.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Flâneur
    evening sunshine, put the running shoes on instead of the bike shoes, wasn't quick, ankle didnt like it but it felt good.

surely somebody who sounds like a hobo would fit right in your way pina?
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Good commute in today, hard going on the way home as I had to detour to trim the mother in laws bush
  • pinno
    evening sunshine, put the running shoes on instead of the bike shoes, wasn't quick, ankle didnt like it but it felt good.

If he filled all spare pockets up with cans of Special Brew and stuck a roll up on his bottom lip, then yes. However, he doesn't drink and he doesn't smoke.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474

If he filled all spare pockets up with cans of Special Brew and stuck a roll up on his bottom lip, then yes. However, he doesn't drink and he doesn't smoke.

Still, he shags sheep eh! Why else go to New Zealand :shock:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno

You can't blame him, top decision.
  • veronese68

So you think sheep shagging is a top decision? I don't suppose that will surprise anyone.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    18654760720_890a882398_b.jpg

Saw this the other day... drooooool... 8) 8)
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    ^There's bits missing, it's kak.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164

So you think sheep shagging is a top decision? I don't suppose that will surprise anyone.
    I didn't think there was much choice in NZ or Stranraer.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]