closed road rules

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited June 2015 in Road general
Asked about this in the organised rides section but everyone must be too buys training :D

Is it OK to cycle any roads that have been closed for a sportive (Wales Velothon in my case) as long as it's before the start? Wanting to find a decent spot to watch from and cycling up there is probably the only way.

Thanks

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yes, of course it is.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    Thought so, but had to ask. Thanks!
  • Matthewfalle
    Pleasure - no problem at all.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    TROs usually apply to all traffic, which would include cycle traffic (apart from the actual event, obviously). Check the local council website.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Yes, of course it is.

No, not of course, in fact, almost certainly not legally, non-event cycles are part of the TRO's for Velothon Wales http://www.torfaen.gov.uk/en/Related-Documents/Velothon/TemporaryProhibitionandRestrictionofTrafficandUseOrder2015.pdf

However, if it's really before the start and you're accessing a location to watch, then it's pretty reasonable but it would be against the order.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,694
    Pleasure - no problem at all.
    You didn't even have to go to the trouble of finding out if your assumption has any factual basis.
  • Matthewfalle
    You're on a bicycle on your own pooling down the road. Of course you can ride down the road.

Be nice, be polite and no one will care.

Don't be such bunch of squares.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Whats going to happen to you if you ride on it? SWAT team descends and takes you down?
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Probably too late but if you don't want to ride on closed roads ride on the pavements.
    Not universal but usually road closures don't include them and there is nothing that anyone can do about this. I regularly walked past closure barriers and people trying to stop me to pass some long term road works. The road was closed. The FC land along side it wasn't. Boy did it annoy them. Petty maybe but it was a 6 miles diversion otherwise.
    Of course riding on pavements may not be your thing. I don't like it but grass verge's with no walkers are different to pavements which have other rules attached to them.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Asked about this in the organised rides section but everyone must be too buys training :D

Is it OK to cycle any roads that have been closed for a sportive (Wales Velothon in my case) as long as it's before the start? Wanting to find a decent spot to watch from and cycling up there is probably the only way.

Thanks

It depends on the particular TRO if it's closed to all traffic or just motor vehicles. Quite likely it's closed to all traffic, so you wouldn't be allowed to ride on it. However I doubt anyone would care but to be on the safe side, ride in correct direction, you don't want to meet someone coming the other way who's using the full width of the road.
  • Matthewfalle
    Whats going to happen to you if you ride on it? SWAT team descends and takes you down?

Don't be silly - that's just daft. Making a mockery of a serious subject. Of course that won't happen - we don't live in the US.

16 AA will come down and once he's cycled past them they'll send in Poole and Hereford to make sure that he can't get through. He'll never make it out alive and it'll all be my fault........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    how long before the event is that part of the road closed? If it's just an hour or so cycle up while it's still open.
  • Matthewfalle
    how long before the event is that part of the road closed? If it's just an hour or so cycle up while it's still open.

I've just that DHL is from Poole - blimey, they arrived quick. Are Hereford lurking around ready to pounce?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.