DT Swiss Skewers

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited June 2015 in Commuting chat
With the 1550 wheels I (we - a few others on here also) bought came the DT Swiss skewers (the type that have the levers that lift to move position). If you have them, you'll know what I mean.

Yesterday I did Rapha Prestige Limburg - it's a bit like the Rapha HotN on steroids: 191km and 2500m climbing - much of which (90k?) is off-road - hence the DT Swiss wheels rather than my C50 RS80s. Anyhow, in the tipping rain that greeted us for the first 4 hours, I came off on a roundabout (as did several other riders - one breaking his collarbone) - assume diesel.

I ended up with gravel rash. The bike seemed OK - that was until I tried to remove the wheels after the ride. The rear skewer obviously took the brunt of the slide. The top of it was pretty burred. The problem is that the rotation function was completely impossible as it wouldn't lift. The seat and chain stays are high enough to mean that, without this lift feature, the skewer won't undo. I should, with tools, be able to get it out now at home but, had I punctured on the ride (very probable as HotN riders know) I'd have been stuffed. It's worth being aware of this if you're using the skewers - it would have been very unfortunate to have been stuffed because of a skewer.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Damn sorry to hear that matey but at least the bike is okay, new skewers on order then?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    I'm OK and, yes, I'll stick with Shimano skewers from now on.

Still, I got to ride with Marianne Vos so that's worth a few bumps and scrapes
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'm OK and, yes, I'll stick with Shimano skewers from now on.

Still, I got to ride with Marianne Vos so that's worth a few bumps and scrapes

did you draft? :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    We did a bit - her team and one other had joined up. Their moving time was 10 minutes shorter than ours but that group had lots of mechanicals. They passed us the first time whilst we were punctured, then they stopped and so on. I was impressed with her - she was looping back to help out, sorting her own bike at stops etc - quiet and down-to-earth. Also her team support car stopped to check whether I needed bandages or food.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Taking them off mine as soon as I stop typing. Tell DT Swiss - I had to ask a few questions a year or so back and they were friendly and interested; they might appreciate the feedback
  • meanredspider
    Taking them off mine as soon as I stop typing. Tell DT Swiss - I had to ask a few questions a year or so back and they were friendly and interested; they might appreciate the feedback

Good idea to tell them
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Also her team support car stopped to check whether I needed bandages or food.
    Excellent, don't suppose they had doughnuts.
    Seriously though, nice to hear someone at that level is down to earth and just gets on with it. Also glad to hear you didn't hurt yourself too much.
  • meanredspider
    Also her team support car stopped to check whether I needed bandages or food.
    Excellent, don't suppose they had doughnuts.
    Seriously though, nice to hear someone at that level is down to earth and just gets on with it. Also glad to hear you didn't hurt yourself too much.

Yes - it was all very relaxed. I'm fine, thanks, just don't bounce as well now I'm 50. Riding with two very fit 35 year olds was more punishing - especially with so much elevation and rough surfaces. Because I was meant to be taking a year off anything too difficult this year, I'm not as fit as I needed to be to keep up - I'm also carrying some extra kilos.

Great event, though. Rapha do these things incredibly well and should be applauded for it.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Thanks for that advice, and glad you're OK. I'm struggling to see what the perceived benefit of DT's design is over the usual QR, and was thinking I'd revert to my old skewers which seem more straightforward to use. I haven't quite worked out with the DT ones how you tell when you've got the tension right.
  • meanredspider
    DTSwiss.JPG

Not a great pic but it gives you some idea that the damage was relatively mild for an off.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are a nice design, but clearly your off highlights a weakness in it, even a cheap and nasty flipover lever would be OK, so of course would Shimano.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    It's a shxt design that nobody else use for that very reason.
    Essentially it is no different from the old wing nuts, except those were meant to go on bikes that did not have a recessed dropout like yours
    left the forum March 2023
  • meanredspider
    It kinda worked before the burring screwed up the lift function.

DT Swiss came back to me last night. They've asked for some details (pic and invoice) so I guess they're going to offer to replace the skewer. In sending that stuff, I did say they should consider redesigning the product to prevent this problem. I wouldn't be using that skewer again.