Definition of technical track?

james22b2
james22b2 Posts: 132
edited June 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi
Could someone please help me out with a definition of "technical track" (and "non-technical track")?
Thanks!

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Technical tracks require more technique in order to get over obstacles - roots, rocks, small drops, etc.
    Non-technical tracks are easy to ride with no appreciable obstacles.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    As above, I'd just add that It's a relative term from my understanding.. You can easily say one route is more technical than another, based on the terrain, but you can't easily define the difference in abstract terms.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    My general rule is,

Technical = Slow, lots of things to slow you down...usually hard.

Non-technical = fast, easy or hard as you want to make it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My personal rule is that if you can ride it reasonably comfortably seated. It is not technical, for example Hicks lodge has some small bumps and some moderately beamed corners but can all be ridden seated, likewise the Kitchenor at Sherwood, other than the rock garden can all be ridden seated if you want to.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.