Any steel good buys at under £450

danishbacon
danishbacon Posts: 4
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've long been out of the MTB market, but used to race competitively about 10 years ago and have gone through my share of different bikes along the way. Today I have a Surly 1X1 which I love, but it is overseas and I'm in South Wales, so it doesn't make sense bringing it out here given the terrain.

I'm looking for a hardtail, preferably steel, wouldn't mind building but prefer turnkey bike with a good quality front end. Also, don't mind buying used.

Any suggestions of what I can look for in the UK market, and more importantly, where to look? Gumtree and eBay have been weak locally for this type of bike.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Steel has lost it's advantage now that aluminium and carbon have really improved.
    I would look for a hardcore hardtail like a Commencal Meta HT, On One 456 Carbon or a Cotic Bfe. Obviously at this price it's going to be used.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    For 450 quid i would not be picking a bike based on frame material but on spec and condition. Condition of the parts on the bike is the most important bit.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks for the input guys. I've looked at the On One 456 and there are quite a few builds within budget. I'll keep an eye open on the steel framed ones.

Components wise, I'll also keep an eye out on condition and overall usage. I've owned uses bikes before and know what to look for.

I'm pretty set on steel as I do like the ride, but if a nice aluminium or carbon option comes along I might jump on it.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Thanks for the input guys. I've looked at the On One 456 and there are quite a few builds within budget. I'll keep an eye open on the steel framed ones.

Components wise, I'll also keep an eye out on condition and overall usage. I've owned uses bikes before and know what to look for.

I'm pretty set on steel as I do like the ride, but if a nice aluminium or carbon option comes along I might jump on it.

I have a Cove Handjob which is a relatively short travel steel hardtail - the 456 and it do not ride in the same way so if you are looking for steel for a more compliant ride the 456 may not be the one you want. But the 456 will offer you a longer top tube and a slightly less xc oriented ride especially if fitted with a 5 or 6 inch fork.

As its going to be second hand its hard to recommend a good buy as you will just have to trawl classifieds and ebay.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I built up a light 1x10 using a Charge Duster frame - 110 fork travel. I prefer steel frames too - alloy and carbon are too stiff for my preference.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Pipedream have some nice steel frames. A mate has one and its a real nice handling bike.
    http://www.pipedreamcycles.co.uk/products/frames/
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thanks for the input guys. I ended up finding an as new Voodoo Hoodoo for £250 which was too good a value to pass up.

Of course I would have preferred a steel frame bike, but given that I would either have to build one up or keep an eye out for a non-trashed one, I decided to save a little bit.