My new TT bike

cycleclinic
cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
edited June 2015 in Your road bikes
My bicycle addicition continues to bear fruit. Given I entered the Tour of Cambridge TT I figured I best put together a budget TT bike. This is what I came up with. I have not spent more than £1000 actually less I think. I will do more TT's now.

A fellow club member who is 80 no less bought this frame but then decided he could no longer adopt the position so took it of him for a mutually agreeable sum. He had already cabled it up and fitted TRP brake and brake lever and campagnolo 10 speed bar end shifters.

I raided by parts box and found a shimano BB-UN72 68x107mm, an RX100 53/42 chainset, RX100 rear and front mech so on they went. A shimano 8 speed cassette has been fitted and this shimergo set up index's fine. Every cyclist needs a parts bin of good randoms.

the wheels use 88mm carbon tubular rims laced to Shimano Dura Ace 7700 12H which I picked up 18 months ago from a U.S distributor (the most expensive part after the frame).

Weight is 9.3kg
P1010317_zpseq6xqlyf.jpg
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,180
    good job at a reasonable budget... now all you have to do is a 20 min 10 TT, or it was all in vain... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

Weight is 9.3kg
    P1010317_zpseq6xqlyf.jpg

Absolutely lovely. Chapeau. Bleedin' parfait. MF likes - a lot.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The fastest guys on the local 10 course which i do sometimes manage mid 22's on a really good days. 23mins is more common. If i can get 24 something this year i will be chuffed as my best on a road bike without extension bars is 26 mins 15secs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Lovely looking bike! Best of luck with time trial efforts. It'll be fun either way!
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Great looking bike I like that a lot and well done for raiding the parts box for most of the components - although I'm sure its not empty yet!!

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh at the next TT !! (Thursdays isn't it?)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    It looks great, 12h hubs!! OMG! am I right in thinking the deep section rims help compensate in some way for the low spoke count?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,180
    It looks great, 12h hubs!! OMG! am I right in thinking the deep section rims help compensate in some way for the low spoke count?

Yes, the "smaller the inner diameter of the rim, the fewer spokes you need and the stronger the wheel. BMX wheels are indestructible and 26 inch MTBike wheels are much stronger than 29 inch ones.
    On the opposite side of the spectrum, you can't load enough tension in a Penny Farthing wheel to make it stable... you need oversized spokes and nipples for the job and even then it's bound to be a crap wheel that turns into a pringle if you fall off
    left the forum March 2023
  • ledeev
    ledeev Posts: 208
    Very cool.

Which bars / risers/ extensions are those?
  • Phildog
    Phildog Posts: 8
    Geez that's sharp.Did the frame come painted that way, or you had it done? Great job!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Looking at it again, its still lovely.

Black cranks and pedals would look even more fab but as it is its still top 5 coolest bikes on here.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nice one...