Leg imbalance getting worse

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
First off, I have a Rotor Power, hence I am being told by what they say before anyone asks.

Over the past few months, I have noticed that my leg imbalance between L/R is starting to increase. Over the winter it wasn't too bad showing generally 49/51. However, this has started to grow and over the past week it has now got to 46/54.

I am trying to work out why it is happening and what I could do about it. Some of the thoughts are
- I am quite tired at the moment and I am naturally favouring my stronger leg
- I have been carrying an ankle injury through running and the pyhsio is now sorting it out and so I am utilising my right leg more without realising it

Here's an example of my ride home from marshalling last night: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/799267385

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance

Brett
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    How confident are you in what your PM is telling you?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,528
    if you've got an injury then it seems most likely cause, you'll instinctively go easier on it

either accept it until you're over it or use the pm data during ride to 'force' yourself to balance

afaik most people have some l-r imbalance even when perfectly fit and healthy, if you weren't being told by the pm data would you ever have noticed?

also, as imposter suggests, when was the pm last calibrated?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    How confident are you in what your PM is telling you?

+1

I wouldn't totally trust the figures. - my balance used to be 49/51 for many rides when seated. But then my PM (Power2Max) failed and a replacement was sent to me which now shows my leg balance is apparently a fairly constant 43/57. Definitely not my legs that have changed suddenly!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Fatigue has a massive influence on L/R balance averaged over a ride with lots of stop/start pedalling, etc. IME.

Have you done some continuous efforts with no coast and looked at those numbers?

Even then though I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    More problems but still living....
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes I am massively fatigued at the moment and probably need a rest. Also, a good call on re-calibrating, as I've swapped it between bike a couple of times recently and haven't done the recalibration.

Last continuous effort was last Tuesday's TT and it was reading 47/53
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon