Cheap jerseys for commuting

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited June 2015 in Commuting chat
Hey all, can anyone recommend me some cheap, non-skintight jerseys for general commuting duty? Are the new Merlin ones any good?

Don't want to use anything too nice as it's for commuting, so likely to live a hard life (trains, stuffed in bags, attacked by mad butchers, etc)

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Sports direct
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Wiggle/dhb
    Lidl
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Dude - I had the same attitude and wore cheap shirts that I got on ebay in vivid colours - they did stink in the afternoon when I wore them and I hated putting them on. Then I realised that I was doing by far the majority of my miles on the commute, thought there was no point in having nice kit unless I wore it and just started wearing my nice kit. Made my journeys feel a lot better and me feel a lot better and I enjoyed my commute more....
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Dude - I had the same attitude and wore cheap shirts that I got on ebay in vivid colours - they did stink in the afternoon when I wore them and I hated putting them on. Then I realised that I was doing by far the majority of my miles on the commute, thought there was no point in having nice kit unless I wore it and just started wearing my nice kit. Made my journeys feel a lot better and me feel a lot better and I enjoyed my commute more....

That's a fair point...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    Decathlon if needs be, though i agree with the point above about just using your "proper" gear for commuting.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142

I am a well-dressed commuter on a decent bike and I approve this message.

(it also justifies buying nice kit.)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Don't be silly.

You buy new nice kit for the weekend and the old nice kit gets downgraded for commuting.

No point looking cheap if you don't have to. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I've always though that it's the washing that will do more damage than wearing the kit.
    Others may differ but I'll only wear cycling kit for one day before washing it.
    Say your commute is ten miles each way - 100 miles a week, five washes, 20 miles between each wash.
    Your ride at the weekend - 100 miles, one wash, 100 miles between each wash.
    That's why I wear the cheap stuff during the week.

For cheap kit - if they have it, Aldi/Lidl, else Decathlon.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    I have an Once jersey that is 20 year old and still looks pristine.

Jerseys don't wear out and quality doesn't fade.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Buy a couple of Torm jerseys. Job done.