Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 7.0 Di2 ***STOLEN 10/06/17***

e17blade
e17blade Posts: 215
edited June 2017 in Your road bikes
This is the replacement for my Rose Carbon Pro SL that was written off in a bad accident a couple of months ago. I was going to get a similar bike as a replacement, but decided to go aero, and really wanted Di2.

First impressions after a hundred miles or so are totally amazing. It is a very, very fast bike.

I will post a longer and more detailed review when I have got a few more miles under my belt - maybe after the Wales Velothon next week.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures with the Mavic wheels it came with……

18568608145_c4659a532f_z.jpg

18541239586_e5a0e51165_z.jpg

And one with my Dura Ace C35 wheels......

18379980360_933b7b1fd6_z.jpg

Comments

• sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    Is there such difference between the wheels? Lovely bike! Very jealous, although personally i prefer the look of the Mavics - but personal preference. Really smart though
  • e17blade
    Sirmol wrote:
    Is there such difference between the wheels? Lovely bike! Very jealous, although personally i prefer the look of the Mavics - but personal preference. Really smart though

I agree about the wheels - it was just that I already had them and wanted to see what they looked like.

I might use the C35s for the high mountains and windy days as the Mavics do tug a bit in crosswinds.
  • sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    E17Blade wrote:
    Sirmol wrote:

I agree about the wheels - it was just that I already had them and wanted to see what they looked like.

I might use the C35s for the high mountains and windy days as the Mavics do tug a bit in crosswinds.

Nice to have the options though :D
  • johnnymcg259
    johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
    Looks well......I saw one recently and they look really fast.
    Sorry but is your saddle a bit off level? (saddle police!) :D
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Beastly
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • e17blade
    Looks well......I saw one recently and they look really fast.
    Sorry but is your saddle a bit off level? (saddle police!) :D

It is a bit, but the pic makes it look much worse. I am struggling to figure out how to adjust the angle to be honest - the seat post fixing doesn't seem to allow it, but I presume I am being stupid.
  • What size is that, out of interest?

These look super quick!
  • e17blade
    What size is that, out of interest?

These look super quick!

It's an XL and it fits me perfectly
  • Lovely, could do with a bigger chainset though
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • e17blade
    Lovely, could do with a bigger chainset though

It's a 52/36, which is plenty big enough considering I'll be doing the Mortirolo next month!
  • What's the weight then? :)
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Stunning. I love the looks of the new Aeroad. If I had ~£3k to spend on a bike, it would be my choice too.
  • e17blade
    What's the weight then? :)

No idea! Light enough though.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    First Canyon I lust after - lovely job
  • Gb_Rae
    Gb_Rae Posts: 42
    Absolute beauty, loving it with the Mavic's!!

Jealous!
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Lovely bike, weird the chainset looks so small! Good to see another XL
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Lovely, could do with a bigger chainset though

It's a 52/36, which is plenty big enough considering I'll be doing the Mortirolo next month!

Good luck on a 36/28!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    oh my, nice :shock:
  • e17blade
    Update…

I have now ridden my Aeroad in a number of different scenarios and thought it worth posting my thoughts. It is worth noting that although I have ridden a few nice bikes here and there, my main comparison is between:

Old bike: Rose Carbon Pro SL / Ultegra 6700 Mechanical / Dura Ace C35
    New bike: Canyon Aeroad / Ultegra 6870 Di2 / Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLE

10 mile TT…
    Clearly the Aeroad is much more suited to a TT than the Rose, and I set a PB despite the conditions being poor. The position I can get in on the bike is much better for two reasons: (1) a more aggressive stretched out position generally, and (2) I used to ride on the drops on the Rose but I can now get in a good aero position on the hoods which is a much more sustainable position for me. The 6870 hoods are much thinner and seem more upright than the 6700, which just works for me when combined with the more stretched out position. Verdict: amazing

Wales Velothon…
    I really enjoyed this and the bike played a big part in that. To sum it up simply – it is a very fast bike. I knew it would be, but it accelerates and holds speed in a way that continues to surprise me nonetheless. Best of all though is the handling, it just goes where I point it and feels solid, which really gives me confidence. I was a bit worried about comfort on a longer fast ride, but I would say that it is if anything a tiny bit more comfortable than my Rose, and that any feelings of uncomfortableness I had were just to do with exhaustion and not the bike. Verdict: amazing

Club runs & general riding…
    It is plain and simple a great fun bike to ride. Also, there aren’t many people with Di2 in my club, so it’s quite funny to hear the little laugh from behind when someone hears the “whirring” noise as I shift. Verdict: amazing

Wheels…
    I was thinking of keeping my Dura Ace C35s and using them in the mountains (the Etape next month for example) or on windy days, but the more I ride the Mavics the more I like them, and I might sell the C35s. The weight isn’t much different at all and the braking is very good (not sure if the direct mount brake callipers make a significant difference?). I will see how it goes.

Di2…
    I totally love Di2. I had been thinking of upgrading for ages, but my Rose wasn’t Di2 compatible. It is easy, slick, quiet, etc, etc. The first time out I kept looking down to see if I had actually changed gear, but that faded quickly, and now I just have 100% confidence in perfect shifting every time. This was particularly great when doing the TT.

Gear ratios…
    I am now ever so slightly alarmed that my lowest gear is 36-28, where previously I had 34-28. I missed my ‘spinning gear’ when starting to suffer on Caerphilly mountain during the Velothon. It isn’t a massive difference, but I have a trip to Italy coming up (Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Sormano & Ghisallo) and the Etape soon after and I don’t really want to drop a load more cash changing (new cassette, mech, chain, etc). Oh well, rule#5.

Overall mark out of ten: 10
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    This is the replacement for my Rose Carbon Pro SL that was written off in a bad accident a couple of months ago. I was going to get a similar bike as a replacement, but decided to go aero, and really wanted Di2.

First impressions after a hundred miles or so are totally amazing. It is a very, very fast bike.

I will post a longer and more detailed review when I have got a few more miles under my belt - maybe after the Wales Velothon next week.

It's proper beastly! Love how that thing looks :)

It looks like it would be more suited to having a bullet proofed super hero riding it, rather than some hairy arsed lycra clad lump (nothing personal, I'm sure ya lovely).
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • e17blade
    Philly8mt - you must have seen me around!

Whatever I look like though, it makes me feel like a superhero :D
  • Sell the C35s and buy some C24s...

Would love a set of C35s but I've just bought myself some C24s so no chance of getting that past the missus!
  • e17blade
    Update!

I have now done some big rides and can give a better opinion of the bike. The key rides have been...

* An epic 250km club ride - mainly flat with some rolling hills
    * Three days in the Italian Alps - Stelvio, Gavia, etc

The Aeroad has been an absolute star throughout.

I was a little worried that the 250km ride would expose it for a lack of comfort, but it wasn't the case at all. If I could go back and do it again the only change would be to put my old saddle on - it was NOT the ride to be using a new saddle!

In Italy I can't say I was aware at all that I was riding an aero bike rather than a lighter climbing bike - at no point did I wish I was on a Canyon Ultimate for example. Again, if I could go back and do it again, the only change I would make would be to use my Dura Ace C35's instead of the Mavic Cosmic SLE's. The screeching brakes on the new Exalith rims were driving me (and presumably those around me) a bit mad. Whether the actual braking performance is any better or worse I'm not that sure to be honest, but the screeching under heavy braking doesn't fill you with confidence - which is quite important when you are belting down a mountain! The semi-compact wasn't too bad in the end either, although there were a few times when I would have killed for my old 34/28 spinning gear.

Updated mark out of 10: Still 10 :D
  • Beautiful Bike... Congrats !!
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Respect with 36X28 !!
    I like to spin and I'm pretty light and doing a traverse of Dolomites next year. Zoncolan, Motirolo and the Stelvio and a few more !!!
    I normally use 34X28 but was thinking i may need a 32 for this trip. What would you think?
  • e17blade
    Respect with 36X28 !!
    I like to spin and I'm pretty light and doing a traverse of Dolomites next year. Zoncolan, Motirolo and the Stelvio and a few more !!!
    I normally use 34X28 but was thinking i may need a 32 for this trip. What would you think?

I'm a spinner too. 34/28 would have been better I think, but 36/28 was OK. I might have been able to spin more with a compact, but it would have taken longer!

34/32 maybe a bit like overkill - but that's just for me obviously - everyone is different.

Good luck - sounds epic!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712

http://d2ride.co.uk/Road-Bikes.php

that is a beauty
  • jerrickng
    jerrickng Posts: 1
    HI Senior,

does it climb well?
    how does it feel when encountering cross wind and front wind?
    i contemplating to buy this or ulitmate cfl cx
    my greatest weakness is climbing

hope to hear some comment
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    What a stunning bike, glad I found this post as am really looking into get the aeroad, but am wondering what's the difference from like the 7.0 cf slx to like the 9.0 sl, really nice colour also the colour I want
  • e17blade
    HI Senior,

does it climb well?
    how does it feel when encountering cross wind and front wind?
    i contemplating to buy this or ulitmate cfl cx
    my greatest weakness is climbing

hope to hear some comment

It climbs very well, and if it's good enough for Valverde and J-Rod to ride in the mountains then it's definitely good enough for me!

Front wind = good
    Cross wind = Mavic wheels get blown about a bit

Hope that helps.

Dave