Sunny Saturday

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
edited June 2015 in The bottom bracket
Quiet here - are people actually riding their bikes? :shock:

I'm sitting supping coffee and scoffing a bacon sarnie at a health club while the wife swims :) This afternoon involves heading down to deepest south Kent for a housewarming barbie at a mates place where I'm also going to pick up a set of tubeless downhill wheels for The Panzer. So looks like a good day ahead.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I'm sitting supping coffee and scoffing a bacon sarnie at a health club while the wife swims :) This afternoon involves heading down to deepest south Kent for a housewarming barbie at a mates place where I'm also going to pick up a set of tubeless downhill wheels for The Panzer. So looks like a good day ahead.

Will you fit the tubeless tyres to them :roll:

Windswept walk with the toots on the beach followed by coffee. So far, so good.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Gorgeous 7 miler across countryside then beach with The Hound earlier, sun blazing, got given a whole weights bench and weights for nothing, now supping coffee in the garden while The Hound suns himself and the beer gently cools for the footy tonight.

Sometimes the tranquillity of solitude is all that one requires. Smiles a go-go in the MF household today :)

Pretty darn near perfect. Only missing TDLO to make it perfect.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Will you fit the tubeless tyres to them :roll:
    I refer you to my statement yesterday :) Left the bike with my mate, he'll stick the tyres on when he fits the wheels. He's quite handy with spanners etc, probably because he didn't listen at school :wink:

Good barbie and a few drinks, ended up playing a bit of tennis then watched a bit of the footy. All in all a really good day out.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    A Gardener, Tennis, Handmade English Leather shoes, Pretentious Stropteen with too much temptation due to the location (hefty bills), supports Chelsea, gets lifts uphills...
    All because you 'listened at school'. Humph. I can fix things like engine's, bike's and electrical stuff which makes you a thoroughly hopeless bloke, pitiful. I did listen at school but paths lead me to what to use my hands for more than pen pushing and putting up with office politics/biatching/mindlessness - far worse than the sh1t that happened in the playground.
    2 and a half years at The Chelsea Building Society (temping), Eagle Star*, Zurich financial services(*2) and Lincoln Financial Management was enough to want me to go back to my roots. Although definitely not the best financial decision I made, i'm much happier now.

*Eagle Star was just about bearable with it's free bus services, casual clothing and free lunches but they got taken over by *2. I left just 2 weeks later.
  • Stevo_666
    Calm down now...

Slightly ironic that you worked for the Chelsea building society :wink: You weren't an accountant were you?!

Anyhow, time is precious and I would take up too much of it fixing stuff. Better to get someone good at that sort of thing to do it and enjoy life :)
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Calm down now...

Slightly ironic that you worked for the Chelsea building society :) You weren't an accountant were you?!

Anyhow, time is precious and I would take up too much of it fixing stuff. Better to get someone good at that sort of thing to do it and enjoy life :)

Deeply flawed statement. You get a lot of pleasure and a deep satisfaction from fixing, maintaining, creating systems or restoring things. If you can.

CBS was just opening savings accounts for investors and completing R85 forms when I was doing my degree in Naam - Cheltenham. Lincoln Financial Management was opening ISA's in the day's of Maxi ISA's and Mini ISA's.
    Eagle Star was doing a project which was studying why people were not renewing insurance policies with them. It was an interesting post (sort of). Zurich life services was total and utter patronising bollox crap work under total and utter patronising bollox crap managers and had no bearing on what I was doing before the take over.
  • Stevo_666
    It's only deeply flawed if I enjoyed fixing stuff. I'm not that mechanically minded and have a tendency not to enjoy things that I'm not good at. Each to their own and all that :)
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    It's only deeply flawed if I enjoyed fixing stuff. I'm not that mechanically minded and have a tendency not to enjoy things that I'm not good at. Each to their own and all that :)

Well you stick to the pen pushing and the odd sum and i'll stick to getting dirty.

See, I see a parallel here between cycling and work. You like suits and boots, I like overalls and work boots. You like downhilling which means that ostensibly you are an adrenalin junkie and I like road cycling which makes me a seratonin/endorphin addict.
  • Matthewfalle
    A Gardener, Tennis, Handmade English Leather shoes, Pretentious Stropteen with too much temptation due to the location (hefty bills), supports Chelsea, gets lifts uphills...
    All because you 'listened at school'. Humph. I can fix things like engine's, bike's and electrical stuff which makes you a thoroughly hopeless bloke, pitiful. I did listen at school but paths lead me to what to use my hands for more than pen pushing and putting up with office politics/biatching/mindlessness - far worse than the sh1t that happened in the playground.
    2 and a half years at The Chelsea Building Society (temping), Eagle Star*, Zurich financial services(*2) and Lincoln Financial Management was enough to want me to go back to my roots. Although definitely not the best financial decision I made, i'm much happier now.

*Eagle Star was just about bearable with it's free bus services, casual clothing and free lunches but they got taken over by *2. I left just 2 weeks later.

You may be able to do all that but your use of the apostrophe is shhhyyyttt.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

Although I'd allow her to lube my chain, I'm afraid so. Bollocksy bugger. I see trouble approaching ............

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Well you stick to the pen pushing and the odd sum and i'll stick to getting dirty.

See, I see a parallel here between cycling and work. You like suits and boots, I like overalls and work boots. You like downhilling which means that ostensibly you are an adrenalin junkie and I like road cycling which makes me a seratonin/endorphin addict.
    A good dose of endorphins always goes down well with me. Bike-wise I am in both camps as you know...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    The joy of fixing stuff is more when you don't have time pressures. If you have to fix something to a tight deadline it takes the joy out of tinkering.
  • Matthewfalle
    Agree with Veronese ever so much - the race motor bike has been nigh on 9 years on the workbench - it'll get there one day but its just so nice wandering in, vino rosso in hand, looking at what needs to be done, planning and plotting then occasionally getting a spanner out and actually doing something.

No need to rush these things you see........................

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Exactly, the Bonneville has been 8 years. My mate might finish his first, but he has had a 25 year head start.
  • pinno
    A Gardener...later.

You may be able to do all that but your use of the apostrophe is shhhyyyttt.

F*ck off to road general. This is no place for the grammar Nazi's.
  • pinno
    When you have a backlog of cans and the conveyor stops and it is not a routine fault or there is a problem with the baler control box, the stress levels go through the roof. However, when you fix it and normality returns, the feeling of overcoming whatever fault is great.
    A lot of my job is not 'tinkering'. I have very little time for tinkering.
    Thursday was spent fitting a 12hp engine to my trattor mower. 12hp!! Almost twice the HP of the very tired old one. Might try and do a wheelie with it. Magic.
  • Stevo_666
    This is no place for the grammar Nazi's.
    I don't think the should be an apostrophe there :wink:

PS: I see the number of people who quote me on their sig is increasing steadily - I'm doing better than George Best (on this forum anyway) :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Exactly, the Bonneville has been 8 years. My mate might finish his first, but he has had a 25 year head start.

Too true. I've been meaning to fit some internal wheel spacers (ten minute job) for the past 4 years. And they are sitting on the workbench next to the bike. I've actually lost the fairing frame because I did all the work that needed to be done, put it in a safe place and now, 5 years on, can't find it anymore ..........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Thursday was spent fitting a 12hp engine to my trattor mower. 12hp!! Almost twice the HP of the very tired old one. Might try and do a wheelie with it. Magic.

Impressed! My Isetta's 300cc engine is only 13hp :D

(Sorry about using an apostrophe)
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    team47b wrote:

Impressed! My Isetta's 300cc engine is only 13hp :D

(Sorry about using an apostrophe)

Welcome back*

Well it's a good job the delicious Mrs T47 isn't of the more rotund frame. You can have the old one and you can fit a turbo to it. Mind you, I don't trust the Portuguese postal services one inch.

*WHERE THE FOOK HAVE YOU BEEN?