Can you make your commute a strava segment?

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited June 2015 in Commuting chat
I wanted to compare how fast my commute has been over the past few months to see how much I've improved. I took a commute and made the whole thing a private segment. I assumed it would take some time then update and show all my times for it. It hasn't. Instead the commute I took it from is the one and only time on there. Tried 'refresh my results' which does nothing and can't see any other options.

Is there any way to do what I want?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    That should normally work. Although if it starts and ends within your privacy zone it won't. Sometimes it can take a while to update sometimes 24 hours. Also make sure that commute is representative, look at the GPS trace make sure there are no errors in there.
  • pastryboy
    Ah, there will almost certaintly be a bit of privacy zone in there at the start. Will shorten it a bit and see what happens.

Thanks
  • Pretty sure you can make a segment and mark it as private too, so that you don't get the big kids coming along and beating you ;)
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I have exactly the same issue, I was careful to start the segment well outside my privacy zone, but it only shows me having ever done it once, though I've done it literally hundreds of times. It's very annoying.
    Perhaps Strava's algorithm has a maximum "cumulative error" between rides, with all the tiny natural GPS errors adding up to more than their threshhold for a ride of a certain length.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    try contacting Strava - I have always found them really helpful.
  • pastryboy
    Private segment was my intention - I doubt anyone is doing the same 13 miles as I am.

It has worked now. Found that when I zoomed in on the map to create it, it showed the privacy zones so I could start/stop just short of them.

Seem to be quicker on fixed with bullhorns than geared with drops. Don't seem to be getting quicker overall though :cry:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    er couldn't you just look at the PB start / finish times and work out if you're quicker or slower?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pastryboy
    If you mean me then not really - I was looking for a pattern over a period of months to see if there's general improvement. The plot graph is useful for this.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    itboffin wrote:
    er couldn't you just look at the PB start / finish times and work out if you're quicker or slower?

You could do that, but it's a lot of work when Strava will do it for you.