Another new wheel size you could not make it up.

foy
foy Posts: 296
edited June 2015 in MTB general
Another new wheel size has just come out 27.5+ what the hell is going on, me thinks more marketing bulldung of the highest degree and specialized are guilty yet again!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You mean 27.5+? Welcome to 2014.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I detect the same broken record about how everything is specialized's fault.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I blame Trek. It's likely to make 142 & 135 rear hubs obsolete.
    Upgrade to 27.5+ and next year it will be made obsolete.
    I'm sticking with what I have until it's dead. I can't see 3" wide tyres being any good in mud anyway so no use in this country.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'm sticking with what I have until it's dead. I can't see 3" wide tyres being any good in mud anyway so no use in this country.

Yeah I don't get these new wheel standards as what we have is fine as even axle sizes are changing how stiff do we need our bikes to be.

I'd best stock up on hubs for my hard tail 26er bike which by coincidencly a trek Lol.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'm normally one to defend the industry but it really is getting silly now. I can kind of see why plus sized wheels might be good on a hardtail for the extra comfort, but the full sis bikes I've seen from the likes of specialized, Rocky Mountain and Salsa just seem a bit pointless, kinda like full sus fat bikes. I'll stick with my regular 650b wheels thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I didn't think it was actually a new wheel size, just fatter more trail/Enduro orientated tyres on what was previously just an XC wheel size (and before that a less well known roads size, so still not a new wheel size as such)....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Another foy topic having a dig at specialized. Zzzzz
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • rockmonkeysc
    oodboo wrote:

I believe it was Trek pushing this one. Specialized were the last of the big manufacturers to jump on 650b
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    oodboo wrote:

I believe it was Trek pushing this one. Specialized were the last of the big manufacturers to jump on 650b
    Yeah but it's just foy having another dig at specialized. I think someone riding a specialized stole his girlfriend or is riding his mum or something.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • rockmonkeysc
    3" DH tyres? We already did that and they were too heavy and didn't work in anything but bone dry, not too dusty conditions and they don't roll. That's how we ended up at 2.5" as pretty much a standard DH tyre width.
    With a super wide rim to support these monsters you can't just quickly swap tyres to fit a narrower mud spike, you need a narrower rim (like the ones we already have).
    I can see this going full circle and ending up back at old fashioned 26"
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Aside from Nokian Gazzaloddis there are very few 26x3" tyres, it's not really the same thing as B+ or 29er+ With XC type bikes and wide rims using these parts. They're not DH bikes/parts/tyres. Look at the Trek Stache.

Don't really get it myself, but WGAS.
  • rockmonkeysc
    This time next year we will all be digging out the old super wide Sun Double Track rims which are back in fashion.
  • njee20
    But the DH tyres of old would basically only fit DH bikes, so there was no need to differentiate. I'm not aware of anyone sticking 3" Gazzaloddis on a lightweight rigid XC bike... Whether marketing bollocks or what B+ is an entirely different use case for those parts.
  • rockmonkeysc
    But aren't these 26"+ tyres aimed at DH? No one is going to want them for xc
  • njee20
    No, they are designed for XC use - this is 29er+, but still:

Asset_320921?wid=3000&hei=2175&fit=fit,1&fmt=png8-alpha&qlt=80,1&op_usm=0,0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

And the "6Fattie" 650B+ Stumpjumper is clearly of the normal 'trail' bike ilk:

IMG_87391-640x426.jpg

That's my point. This isn't just reusing DH tyres, this is something totally different. Even if people were sticking 3" DH tyres on XC/trail bikes 15 years ago you certainly didn't have Trek and Specialized making bikes to facilitate it!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    foy wrote:
    Another new wheel size has just come out 27.5+ what the hell is going on, me thinks more marketing bulldung of the highest degree and specialized are guilty yet again!

Dear me, you do have a thing about Specialized, don't you?

In this case, it's a new standard that makes a bit of sense. The circumference of a 27.5+ wheel with the big fat tyre in place is just fractionally larger than a 29er with a regular sized XC tyre - so you could fit 29er wheels on a 27.5+ bike. If you were to get one of these "6Fattie" machines and then decide that you don't always need its snow and sand capabilities, you could invest in a pair of 29er wheels and tyres and have two bikes for the price of one and a bit.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • njee20
    Err... Well done?
  • rockmonkeysc
    cyd190468 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    But the DH tyres of old would basically only fit DH bikes, so there was no need to differentiate. I'm not aware of anyone sticking 3" Gazzaloddis on a lightweight rigid XC bike... Whether marketing **** or what B+ is an entirely different use case for those parts.
    Mine was a 2.7 and it was on the back of my xtc :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Why on earth would you put a DH tyre on a light xc bike?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cyd190468 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    But the DH tyres of old would basically only fit DH bikes, so there was no need to differentiate. I'm not aware of anyone sticking 3" Gazzaloddis on a lightweight rigid XC bike... Whether marketing **** or what B+ is an entirely different use case for those parts.

Australian. Probably very drunk.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    cyd190468 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

Moreover why put one on the back?
  • rockmonkeysc
    njee20 wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

Moreover why put one on the back?

Maybe he had a real bad problem with pinch flats and wanted the massive volume and reinforced sidewalls on the back.
  • foy wrote:
    I can't find 27.5+. Is that different than 27.5? Could could provide some links?

If you mean 27.5, that is old to very old news depending on how you look at it. Since 27.5 is really 650b. Of course its wide spread adoption to mountain bikes is relatively new.

The constant churn in sizes is irritating. I bought a 2014 27.5 mountain bike to replace my 2002 one and as far as I can tell the only interchangeable parts are the bottom bracket and the seat post. Handlebar diameter is bigger (to what gain?), head tube diameters are different (not much gain except probably stronger with shorter head tubes), more rear cogs (beneficial, but mine is 10 and 11 is here), and disk brakes (much improved). And of course the 27.5—29 didn't work for me and I felt 26 was going away. I think 27.5 is better for me than 26, but not worth the trouble of changing. 26 will still be around for decades, but for serious components I bet that 27.5 will dominate. Come back in five years and we'll find out if that was a good decision. I keep bikes for a long time.
  • rockmonkeysc
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... 7-5-42832/

27.5+ is wider rims and tyres which means wider forks, frames and hubs. Your 27.5" bike is now obsolete.
    You can upgrade to the latest standard only for it to be replaced a year or two later. It's now making more sense to keep bikes longer.
  • ahaha, another marketing scheme. Love how they added the + after the 27.5 :D
  • njee20
    It's a different set of components, what did you want them to do? Call it 27.5, and then have people find they couldn't actually fit the bits to their bike?