Windows 10 on an older machine

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited June 2015 in The cake stop
Just registered for the free upgrade version of 10... but it will be on a 2010 Vaio.
Just thinking if it will be worth it?

Comments

• sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    Depends on your RAM and processor
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    My experience is that it won't be as good as on a newer type processor.
    What model sony do you have.
    Living MY dream.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    There might be a compatability tool you'll need to download and run. I found one for Win7 when I was running XP.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Been running fine on my 2009 Dell for months now. But watch out if you go on the trial program - random unannounced upgrades, about a quarter of which break your computer in one way or another.
  • jgsi
    I'll probably stick to Win7 on it.. it's a decent enough spec Vaio but realistically dont want to break it.
    Support for Win 7 going as far as 2019 , I think.
    Only reason is, got a little popup Get Windoes 10 icon on status bar from Microsoft.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Regardless on whether Windows 10 will run well on the OP's machine I, personally, won't be rushing to be an early adopter on July 29 given the previous history of some of the new releases. I'll sit back for a while and see whether it performs reliably and well.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Dabber wrote:
    Regardless on whether Windows 10 will run well on the OP's machine I, personally, won't be rushing to be an early adopter on July 29 given the previous history of some of the new releases. I'll sit back for a while and see whether it performs reliably and well.
    Always a wise policy with any software, but especially Windows. I don't really know why I decided to go early for 10: possibly to get rid of 8, and if I had a good reason for going from 7 to 8 I've completely forgotten what it was. In the past I've always skipped alternating versions of windows, always seemed to work out well - see ME, Vista etc.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    JGSI wrote:
    Just registered for the free upgrade version of 10... but it will be on a 2010 Vaio.
    If you are running Windows 7 or 8 now you can likely expect it to be as fast or faster when it is running on 10. My own PC benchmarks a little faster on the 10 beta than it does on 7.

Driver support will be a key factor. No point on upgrading if you have any hardware which is not supported. Same goes for any software you rely on.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • jgsi
    Daz555 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    If you are running Windows 7 or 8 now you can likely expect it to be as fast or faster when it is running on 10. My own PC benchmarks a little faster on the 10 beta than it does on 7.

Driver support will be a key factor. No point on upgrading if you have any hardware which is not supported. Same goes for any software you rely on.

I better ask about Golden Cheetah, Trainer Road, Vector Updater the list goes on ...... is there not a compatibility feature then in 10...?
    I think it wise to stick to 7