Bianchi Fitment

Pegasus2
Pegasus2 Posts: 18
edited June 2015 in Road beginners
Hello

First post here and I need some advice on fitting.I'm 6'4 (191cm ) and have an inside leg of 36" (91.5cm).

I currently ride a 1987 Carrera Epic in a 62cm frame with a 58cm straight top tube (from center to center). I'm not sure if this is too small/big whatever but i've always felt it is too small, so it was a bit of a surprise to find it's a 62 frame. I have to have the seatpost up at 18.5cm and bought an extra long quill stem for it, which is at 10.5cm extension, maximum. Am I confusing the feeling of it being to small with not being able to get the handlebars high enough in comparison to the saddle?

Taking the above into account, I'm looking at buying a Bianchi Nirone 7 but I'm not sure what size to get, I was looking at 63cm but reading around the forums it seems even people my height ride a 61 tops.

Unfortunatly, I can't find either a 61 or 63 Bianchi for love nor money. I've found one shop that can order one in for me but they are miles away, so it's not as if I can try one or get a fit.

24mck6b.jpg

Many thanks

Peg

Comments

• For comparison I am 6ft 2 or 188cm, but with an unusually long inside leg for my height at 92cm, and I ride a Bianchi Infinito CV 61. Here is a pic of my bike with the seat set at the correct height (81cm from BB centre to top of saddle). Bianchis come up smaller than some other makes - I would be a 58 in a Scott Solace for example.

297788d1404982458t-infinito-cv-di-666565de-0dab-4290-9308-a4fd799adee2.jpg

The Geometry of the Via Nirone isn't that different, so I reckon you would probably need a 61. If in doubt of course, it really pays to get a proper bike fit.

Mark
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    That quill doesn't look very long to me (not height) - what's the length? I'm not terribly surprised that you find it a bit small if the frame measures up as you say it does. For what it's worth, I have a bike with a frame that size and a stem of (what looks to me like) a similar length, and I'm four inches shorter than you - and you are clearly looking for something that enables you to have a shorter saddle-to-bar drop.
  • Pegasus2
    Hello and thanks for the replies, much apreciated.

Freefall, thanks for the advice. I measured the BB to top of saddle height (along the seat tube) and it's 89cm.

Simon, the stem measurements are 25.4 x 80 x 180mm. So 80mm reach, if that's what you're asking? 180mm total length but it's set at max height. You've summed up the issue quite nicely!

The frame just stops and saddle and bars extend from it by quite a lot, alongside the sadle/bar drop. Am I right in thinking a larger frame would solve this?

The 61cm Nirone would add 0.5cm and the 63cm would add 1.5cm in effective top tube length.
    Here's the geometry chart http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/images/Bia ... 7-geom.jpg
    I can't seem to work out the differnce between A1 (displayed frame size) and AS (actual seat tube length) ?

Peg
  • A1 is the nominal frame size, measured as if the frame had a horizontal top tube, AS is the actual seat tube length measured from the centre of the BB to the top of the seat tube. On my '61' frame the seat tube is 58 cm.

BTW if you are riding with a saddle height of 89, I suspect either your saddle is too high or your real inside leg must be quite a bit longer then 91.5cm . You might find this link useful http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/ ... ight-25379
  • simon_masterson
    Pegasus2 wrote:
    Simon, the stem measurements are 25.4 x 80 x 180mm. So 80mm reach, if that's what you're asking? 180mm total length but it's set at max height. You've summed up the issue quite nicely!

That explains a lot - that's a really short stem. I imagine that you're rather bunched up when you ride it? I wouldn't be surprised if you were comfortable (in a typical road position) on a 130mm stem on that frame, perhaps even longer. On the Bianchi, at a guess, you might want the larger frame size (with a slightly shorter stem) if you want a more upright position like you have on your current bike - but you would be best to go to a shop and try both. A good shop will be able to put the bike on a turbo and watch you pedalling.
  • Pegasus2
    Freefall, I think you're right about the inside leg. I can't find my spirit level, looked all over the garage but saw the book spine measurement method, marking the top of the book then measing from the mark down to the floor and got 97cm.

Simon, ok I don't know much about stems other than that one was the longest (vertically) I could buy and the original was similar reach afaik. There isn't one with larger reach of the same length. I guess it's not helped by the fact quill stems are quite old kit now.

Anyway Epic cycles mentioned traveling to see them to get measured up. I'm not sure what they're going to tell me though since they said they don't carry stock in that size (understandable, who does) and their largest other brand bike is a 59. I imagine they'll just say 63 with a short stem, like you said.

Cheers once again

Peg
  • simon_masterson
    Pegasus2 wrote:
    Simon, ok I don't know much about stems other than that one was the longest (vertically) I could buy and the original was similar reach afaik. There isn't one with larger reach of the same length. I guess it's not helped by the fact quill stems are quite old kit now.

They are old kit, yes. In general you don't see really long quills (particularly not ones that offer a lot of vertical adjustment) because they simply weren't strong enough (years and years ago, anyway). For what it's worth, you can buy quill stem extenders, and with a quill stem adaptor (which I'm not that keen on as they're really ugly and don't give you all of the benefits of threadless) you get some height as well. Just a suggestion to help you to keep the old bike around!
  • Pegasus2
    Thanks for that advice Simon (and freefall) I'm definately keeping the old bike. It has served me well and it is quite a nimble steed. It's also not perticularly attractive to crims either, which is a bonus for commuting etc.

In the end I didn't get a Bianchi, mainly because I couldn't go an try it and that was a bit of a risk in ordering. I found a shop that had a Koga 63cm frame in for a good price and went to have a look/try it. The fit was good (still working out the small adjustments). I nearly didn't call or go and was pretty adament I wasn't going to buy unless it was really, really good but when I got there I was sold pretty quickly tbh.
  • Good you got sorted. I'd be interested to see a pic of your Koga. Happy riding!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    That front brake cable looks to be at full stretch..