Non Padded shorts

SR7492
SR7492 Posts: 190
edited June 2015 in Road general
Guys,

Can anyone recommend any shorts that can be worn on top on of the padded shorts?

Probably sounds a bit odd but lycra shorts on their own don't do it for me (I wear normal shorts on top) but if there was something that can be worn on top and give a better 'appearance' of Lycra, I'm interested in looking at this.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Can you explain "Don't do it for me", as this will dictate how I reply.
  • SR7492
    SR7492 Posts: 190
    Haha!

It's more of a personal thing but for me wearing my padded lycra shorts on their own feels/looks abit 'odd' - does that make sense?

So something which acts as a double layer and makes them look a bit more 'pleasing to the eye' is what I'm after.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Fire at will...
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    But in lycra we all become sex god pin-up Adonises.. cutting a fine jib of manliness

I can but dream :lol:
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    SR7492 wrote:
    Haha!

It's more of a personal thing but for me wearing my padded lycra shorts on their own feels/looks abit 'odd' - does that make sense?

So something which acts as a double layer and makes them look a bit more 'pleasing to the eye' is what I'm after.
    But a second layer of lycra will do..... what exactly?

If you want camouflage then a non-skin tight outer layer is surely the only solution.
    A second skin tight layer doesn't disguise anything, it just makes you warmer. So I'm baffled.
    A second layer is the solution if you're cold in one layer. It serves no other obvious purpose.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I sometimes wear MTB baggies in the cold on my roadie, and almost always if I'm touring.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    OK, I will try to help you here.....

Put on your cycling gear, don't look in the mirror. Get on your bike, go for a ride, come home and get changed. Trust me, no-one cares what you look like on a bike, only you!
  • ai_1
    OK, I will try to help you here.....

Put on your cycling gear, don't look in the mirror. Get on your bike, go for a ride, come home and get changed. Trust me, no-one cares what you look like on a bike, only you!
    Good advice.

If they do care, it's because they're jealous. Honest!
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Fire at will...

How do you know his name?

You don't need over shorts. All you do is add drag and lessen the comfort obtained from wearing lycra.

Take the advice of get dressed, ride, get undressed. If you ride with others you will be the odd looking one if no=one else is wearing over shorts.
  • djwc
    djwc Posts: 39
    For longer rides I sometimes double up, with two pairs of padded shorts. Works for me and I've found it v comfortable.

Probably not to everyone's taste, but like I said - works for me!
  • ai_1
    DJWC wrote:
    For longer rides I sometimes double up, with two pairs of padded shorts. Works for me and I've found it v comfortable.

Probably not to everyone's taste, but like I said - works for me!
    Bizarre
    You assume if one pair is more comfortable than none then 2 must be more comfortable again? There's a major flaw in that idea you know!
    It not a matter of taste, it's a matter of geometry and mechanics (lets call it ergonomics).
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You can get touring shorts that have the pad but aren't lycra tight.

That said - just go with lycra. You already look weird to 90% of the population on a bike so the shorts arent going to matter.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    The main concern is to avoid shorts that have thick or heavy seams in the 'wrong' places.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,318
    If you are bothered about the little ding-a-ling, put a cucumber down the front of your Lycra shorts to compensate.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • lmcamoes
    lmcamoes Posts: 51
    What about under lycra padded shorts? Do you wear any underwear?
  • ai_1
    lmcamoes wrote:
    What about under lycra padded shorts? Do you wear any underwear?
    A few people do, the vast majority do not.
    There's no need and typical underwear will bunch up and/or become damp with sweat and reduce comfort/contribute to chaffing. Padded shorts are designed as a one item solution. Why add another unnecessary and detrimental element which will just make you less comfortable and increase your laundry requirements.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    There are 59 pairs here.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/baggy-cycling-shorts/
    There is a guy I see commuting wearing lyrca cycling tights. He would look pretty silly but he has put a pair of nylon football shorts on over them and looks rather sensible.