Nukeproof Bearing change

jhinton2010
jhinton2010 Posts: 88
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyon know how to get the pivot pins out of a nuke proof mega tr? Trying to change the bearings. So far failing!
Cheers!

Comments

• jhinton2010
    The upper erosion link pin just unscrewed with the bolt, the lower however doest seem to want to.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The lower one is the same but it's an absolute bitch to remove. Loosen the bolt (drive side I think) a couple turns and give it a sharp tap with a plastic hammer and it should move.
  • jhinton2010
    Thanks, i did try tapping it but i guess ill just have to wallop it harder!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Try to support the frame well before you do that. Your frame might be a bit crooked like mine was. We had the same problem with a mates Intense which wasn't even close to straight.
  • Still stuck. How about using a c clamp or vice to try and push it out?
  • rockmonkeysc
    I would take it to a good shop. Either they will do a good job and save you damaging your frame. Or if they do damage the frame they are responsible for putting it right or replacing it.
  • Seems like the best option really. Just annoying to admit defeat especially after forking out for the bearing press so i could do it myself. Oh well!
  • Sounds like the pin might be corroded in there?

Mine goes in a a out just as easy as the 2 other pivot pins.

Pop down screw fix and get a nice 2 inch or so bolt the same thread. Wind it all the way into one side and give it a good hit with a mallet.

Bolt will be supported by the full thread inside so shouldn't damage anything if you are careful.

If anyone thing does go wrong, CRC keep the axles sets. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/nukeproof-mega-am-main-axle-kit-2013/rp-prod104825