Hollowtech Crank Cap Tool

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited June 2015 in Workshop
I'm looking to take my cranks off in order to clean around the bottom bracket on the drive side and also fully clean the chainrings as they are in a pretty filthy way but I can't get the cap off the non-drive side with the small plastic Shimano tool and I need some leverage. Anybody got any suggestions on the took for the job?
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• Garybarker
    Garybarker Posts: 44
    Have you loosened the 2 bolts holding the NDS crank arm on before trying to undo the cap?
  • sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    Once you have undone the two bolts on top of the crank the hoolowtech tool should work with just your hands - it shouldn't be on that tight.
  • birdie23
    Garybarker wrote:
    Have you loosened the 2 bolts holding the NDS crank arm on before trying to undo the cap?

Yep, the cap is stuck solid. Drenched it in WD40 as well and it still wouldn't budge.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    birdie23 wrote:
    I'm looking to take my cranks off in order to clean around the bottom bracket on the drive side and also fully clean the chainrings as they are in a pretty filthy way but I can't get the cap off the non-drive side with the small plastic Shimano tool and I need some leverage. Anybody got any suggestions on the took for the job?

You need a removal tool from fatspanner, it takes a ring spanner or a 5mm allen key.
    Of course it should nt be that tight.
    http://www.ukbikefactory.com/fat-spanne ... -1058.html
  • birdie23
    Cheers Mamba, looks just the ticket.

It definitely won't be that tight once I'm the person who has done it back up
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Why not just wrap a strap wrench round the shimano tool? If you don't have one, then a couple of turns of inner-tube rubber will at least give your hand a bit more purchase.
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    I had one stuck once. Used mole grips.
  • birdie23
    I've tried a few things on the Shimano tool for some extra purchase... The Shimano tool isn't the same size it used to be anymore
    2012 Cube Agree GTC