Team Sky kit wearing mountain bikers

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited June 2015 in MTB general
There seems to be a worrying rise in the number of mountain bike riders wearing full Team Sky kit.
Is it just me or is it perfectly acceptable to mercilessly abuse them for their crime?
It's bad enough on road bikes, especially those with the team colour Pinarillo bike to complete the look.

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    It's just you.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    As long as they are out cycling and enjoying it, they could be wearing a monkey suit for all I care.

Life`s to short to let other peoples cycling kit bother you .
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Seen it on a few roadies around here, not for me though, I try to avoid Chinese made products.

A large chunk of my work involves replacing Chinese made kit, even the other day came across a brand new Chinese piece of kit that said on the guarantee if this is fitted with this Chinese part 3 year guarantee, if fitted with this alternative European part 5 year guarantee.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    There seems to be a worrying rise in the number of mountain bike riders wearing full Team Sky kit.
    Is it just me or is it perfectly acceptable to mercilessly abuse them for their crime?
    It's bad enough on road bikes, especially those with the team colour Pinarillo bike to complete the look.

It's just you.
    Who cares what people wear?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I wear the same for mountain and road biking as I mainly do xc and trail riding it's cheaper that way and comfortable enough.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    JBA wrote:

It's just you.
    Who cares what people wear?

Yep, I also think it must be you...
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    I haven't seen any such rise.. Pretty much all MTBers round here dress in what they like - which normally ends up being a loose t-shirt and shorts.. As that is comfiest..

But if I did see someone on a mtb with lycra on then I would (silently) disapprove.. and then realise that actually I don't care enough to waste any more time over it and I just keep riding..
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's usually the people who are far too "curvaceous" to be wearing lycra anyway but to go for the full pro road kit makes them look like even more of a c***.
    There were at least five at a recent xc event I rode, last year there was only one. I have seen a few at trail centres as well.
    It's kind of like turning up to play rugby in a manchester united shirt.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    maybe they think it makes them ride better or something.

i was trying out a mates road bike recently as were similar frame sizes and was wearing some camoflarge baggy hummvee shorts and fox racing jersey top was funny seeing look on the roadies faces.

who cares as long as you enjoy the ride.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    edited May 2015
    It shouldn't matter what people wear as long as they are getting out on their bike and riding.

But...

Some really do need to get a reality check of their clothing choices and dress accordingly and more appropriately. I don't see too much road race Lycra on MTBs and I have no issue with XC types wearing race type Lycra top to bottom. I'm not much different except for wearing baggies over the top of padded shorts and some form of reasonably fitted, none cotton top on the whole.

However luminous Lycra on top of more portly individuals just looks ridiculous and is the biggest crime my way at the moment.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Everyone was selling off the team sky kit for silly cheap prices last year - almost bought some bibshorts myself (for the road) but didnt like the fit/feel of them. Almost bought a jersey for my son but one of his mates got one and he didnt want the same thing - the jerseys were something like £20 though...

I think this is why there is more of it around rather than everyone being a fanboi.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Lycra should not be made in sizes above medium although I'm medium size and a little curvy for lycra.
  • Angus Young
    but to go for the full pro road kit makes them look like even more of a c***.

Well, I look like complete c*** in my MTB gear, so I wouldn't hold that against anyone.
  • rockmonkeysc
    but to go for the full pro road kit makes them look like even more of a c***.

Well, I look like complete c*** in my MTB gear, so I wouldn't hold that against anyone.

You would look even more of one in team sky kit.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Lycra should not be made in sizes above medium although I'm medium size and a little curvy for lycra.
    That's me buggered and I'm lean.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • wide phil
    wide phil Posts: 51
    Seems a bit pompous to me to slate what people choose to wear when they are out enjoying there hobby
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I always wear Lycra unless I'm just pootling around, it's more comfortable and feels less restrictive I reckon.

Funny thing is I wore baggies for the first time in ages a while ago and spent the first 10 minutes trying to work out what was up with my bike, till I realised the strange rubbing noise was the material of the baggies against the saddle
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

anyone wearing tight lycra tops/shorts are open to humiliation, sky team colours or not :lol:
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Ferrals wrote:
    I always wear Lycra unless I'm just pootling around, it's more comfortable and feels less restrictive I reckon.

Funny thing is I wore baggies for the first time in ages a while ago and spent the first 10 minutes trying to work out what was up with my bike, till I realised the strange rubbing noise was the material of the baggies against the saddle

I did exactly the same, the rubbing noise was really annoying. In the end the lycra bibs and top were much more comfortable and just got on with the riding then. Also much cooler in hot weather.
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    Full lycra is not for me. I probably bulge in places I shouldn't (and probably don't bulge in places that perhaps I should!) so that makes me a little biased in this. When I see the more portly of our species in figure-hugging lycra my bias is simply reinforced.
    But, each to their own, and I'm in a glass house when it comes to judging people on dress sense...
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I'm waiting to see full Lycra with pads and a full face.

As for team kits, they aren't for me unless part of that team. I'm actually entitled to wear one for a team that races at a national level and in fact. Next year if I ride in any BC race I have to, yet I won't buy or wear one as I don't ride for them team and don't believe I should be entitled to wear it.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I wear what I like be it full lycra or baggies, I couldn't give a toss what anybody else thinks and I don't care what anybody else is wearing either, why should I.
  • Angus Young
    WindyG wrote:
    I wear what I like be it full lycra or baggies, I couldn't give a toss what anybody else thinks and I don't care what anybody else is wearing either, why should I.

This is the correct answer to this thread.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I've not worn anything other than lycra when out on the bikes for a fair while now- be it mountain bikes or road bikes. I find it comfortable and practical- nothing flapping around, nothing to snag and a few handy pockets too.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I just end up with images of things I've seen that can not be unseen... it upsets me deep down.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The worst I have seen was some tool turn up to a BC xc race wearing a replica world champ Jersey. He was most upset when told that only the world champ could race in those colours and he had to find another Jersey or be disqualified.
  • enyaw1
    enyaw1 Posts: 2
    What about all these people that wear Chelsea FC shirts, I know for a fact that they don't play for them as I haven't seen them on Match of the Day.
  • Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    The worst I have seen was some tool turn up to a BC xc race wearing a replica world champ Jersey. He was most upset when told that only the world champ could race in those colours and he had to find another Jersey or be disqualified.

Bit extreme don't you think? Just showing your support. Lycra under clothes is ok I think, but tbh if they did a baggy version of the Sky kit or MTB version I dare say I would wear one. Can't see how its different from me rocking up to silverstone in some rossi replicas.
  • rockmonkeysc

Bit extreme don't you think? Just showing your support. Lycra under clothes is ok I think, but tbh if they did a baggy version of the Sky kit or MTB version I dare say I would wear one. Can't see how its different from me rocking up to silverstone in some rossi replicas.

Under BC & UCI rules, only a world champ is entitled to wear the world champs rainbow stripes. Same with national champs flag sleeve. It's fair enough, if you want to wear them, you have to earn them.
    At national or international level downhill races riders aren't allowed to wear lycra either. It's one of those old rules that has never been changed. Started when Nissan sponsored the world cup series and wanted more of an extreme sports image and not lycra. It's a pointless rule but one that no one cares about because no one wants to wear lycra.
  • Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    Ahh, that is something new I have learned today. And I do understand about wearing what you have earned, would be like wearing p-coy wings having never earned them. But if you are wearing a replica (maybe not for competition use) doesn't that show your respect and admiration for that person?

And good national and international DH riders can't wear lycra is would just look, well stupid, and if you had an off well that would be a whole new thing.