SPD-SL Cleats

alexalways
alexalways Posts: 4
edited June 2015 in Workshop
I've always used SPD-SL cleats without problem - previous pairs have been on my shoes for about a year before getting replaced.

I put a new pair on a month ago and the blue plastic at the front has already separated from the black plastic base. This has happened on both cleats and caused my foot to unclip accidentally when applying effort. I've never had anything similar happen before - cleats wear down or get chewed up round the edges but have always stayed in one piece. I doubt I've even ridden 1000km on them yet.

Is this a known issue? Have I got a duff pair of cleats or have I suddenly started doing something wrong?

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I 've used these thing >5 years, > 10000 km /year never happed to me...
    Original Shimano? Claim warrantee.
  • alexalways
    alexalways Posts: 4
    Keezx wrote:
    I 've used these thing >5 years, > 10000 km /year never happed to me...
    Original Shimano? Claim warrantee.
    Yeah they are originals. I was about to send them back but then I found some epoxy in a draw so I've gone for the DIY repair route....they definitely aren't under warranty now!
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    I thought the blue (or yellow in my case) was not part of the clip-in mechanism, and was there to take wear when walking in them ?

Pete
  • peteco wrote:
    I thought the blue (or yellow in my case) was not part of the clip-in mechanism, and was there to take wear when walking in them ?

Pete
    I think you're right - but I felt sure it must have had some effect as I've never had my foot spring out the clips before and it happened twice in one track session last week now that the cleat has started falling apart.

I should probably crank up the retaining springs on my track bike pedals as well...
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    What pedals are you using and how old/used are they?

I had to replace Shimano R540 pedals because the pedal itself had worn down.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I seem to remember someone said they put some gaffer tape on the front of the pedal where the cleat clips n and that help to firm up old pedals, not tried it myself but might be worth a shot?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    I had this happen with some yellow shimano cleats, after about 200 miles. I always use covers when walking, but the yellow bit on the foot I put down at lights started to come away from the shoe. As I bought them from wiggle, I took some photos and emailed them. Got a replacement pair sent the next day. They must've know there had been a dodgy batch?
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    The blue bits are purely there for grip while walking, they do not clip into anything and have no effect on ability to clip in/out. I go through cleats every three months as there is a very rough drive up to my house that i have to walk up and it chews up the cleats. The little covers (yellow) on my cleats disappear within weeks and it has no effect on clipping in or out.

The blue shimano cleats only allow 2degrees float and I suspect that this is the reason you unclipped accidentally, you possibly need the yellow cleats which allow more float/foot movement.