hayes brake problem

gaz2k
gaz2k Posts: 4
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.having an issue with a rear brake,its a hayes sole.

Loose hydraulic pressure after a short distance,have gone to bleed it and the rubber plug in the lever/master cylinder has turned to sludge and broke off.Pretty sure this where the system is failing and have ordered a new plug but cant get the remains of the old plug out and its wedged letting in air or pushing fluid out.

Can I remove the two torx screws to get at it,and what will I be faced one ive taken them and the plate/cover off? scared to remove without advice incase I deepen the problem,cheers

Comments

• gaz2k
    Also if I lift the lever up at its highest point I get pressure,once down again its drops to nothing
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sole are pants, better off binning it and getting decent ones.

Drill out the plug carefully with the cap off the bike (so the bits don't drop in.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    gaz2k wrote:
    Also if I lift the lever up at its highest point I get pressure,once down again its drops to nothing
    Sounds like the seals have also gone.

Full service or replace.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gaz2k
    Thanks for the replies

Found that the master cylinder rubber bladder had ripped at the bleed point,couldnt find a new master cylinder cap as there discontinued,but I did find a full hayes brake setup which has matching caps at a cheap price,not sole but doesn't matter.

will hopefully fix the problem and let these brakes live on a little more as they stop really well,then upgrade in the future.