Cycling and fashion

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited May 2015 in Road general
This kind of follows on from the demise of the cyclists wave thread but when did cycling become so elitist?

I don't know if anyone else reads The Times but this week they've been featured cycling and every mention of clothing is Rapha and how it's the best, sophisticated and what everyone needs to ride a bike and this had me thinking about this type of thing.

Now, I do own a few Rapha bits. Mainly Sky kit that was over half off as I don't think I could justify full price on Rapha. So, since I now live in Bristol and Rapha have opened their Archive Store not far away, selling items at nearly half off, I thought I'd go take a look as I'm after some new bibs. Now I have some Strava Gran Fondo Cuore kit from last year (I know exactly what you're all thinking but it's nice gear and I'd love to get more without the Strava branding but the only options I've seen are Strava or IAM Cycling) and this is what I was wearing when I went into their store. Two of the guys cracked a "Do you work for Strava?" gag, which is fine - love a bit of banter and since I think no cycling kit is particularly flattering I'm not fussed. But both were so deadpan afterwards that I think they were actually serious... it just struck me as weird. (Edit: to clarify, both were really nice guys and I chatted with them for a while)

We're all cyclists, why does anybody care what you are wearing? I think a few bits of pro kit because if I can get something at half it's normal price I'll wear the logos - not a problem for me, and I have plenty of unmarked kit because if it's comfortable and good value that's all I care about.

So why do so many cyclists now shun others just based on the kit they are wearing?

(Footnote: I draw the line at wearing leaders/champions jerseys and full matching team kit but that's just me)
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It doesn't matter, in end the only people who will find any cycling clothing fashionable are other cyclists, and even then only the ones daft enough not to realise it's impossible to look remotely cool wrapped in spandex.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    mfin wrote:
    It doesn't matter, in end the only people who will find any cycling clothing fashionable are other cyclists, and even then only the ones daft enough not to realise it's impossible to look remotely cool wrapped in spandex.

yup...99.9 % of the population look at a roadie and think wtf..?
  • birdie23
    JGSI wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Popping in a shop on a ride always brings some looks.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    birdie23 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Popping in a shop on a ride always brings some looks.

Yep, cos you're wrapped in spandex and it's not possible to look stylish in it. The overriding thing will always be that you're looking like a gimp wrapped in spandex. (Doesn't mean there isn't nice cycling kit though, it's just still spandex).
  • birdie23 wrote:
    This kind of follows on from the demise of the cyclists wave thread but when did cycling become so elitist?

Now, I do own a few Rapha bits. Mainly Sky kit that was over half off as I don't think I could justify full price on Rapha. So, since I now live in Bristol and Rapha have opened their Archive Store not far away, selling items at nearly half off, I thought I'd go take a look as I'm after some new bibs. Now I have some Strava Gran Fondo Cuore kit from last year (I know exactly what you're all thinking but it's nice gear and I'd love to get more without the Strava branding but the only options I've seen are Strava or IAM Cycling) and this is what I was wearing when I went into their store. Two of the guys cracked a "Do you work for Strava?" gag, which is fine - love a bit of banter and since I think no cycling kit is particularly flattering I'm not fussed. But both were so deadpan afterwards that I think they were actually serious... it just struck me as weird.

So why do so many cyclists now shun others just based on the kit they are wearing?

I'm calling this as bullchyte, they are sound guys working at the Archive Store.
    Think a couple of them ride for Bristol clubs as well.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • birdie23
    Sorry, might not have been clear. I didn't think they weren't sound, just thought the thing about my clothing was weird.

They were perfectly sound to talk to, one put my bike in the bike room, chatted to another about the area and then a third popped upstairs to fill both of my bottles for me before I left after I'd been down to the restaurant for a lemonade.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Rapha and team kit wearing, and following on from a thread about waving?
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Is it elitism?

The only time I've been ignored by cyclists (following on from the waving thread) was whilst wearing my new Rapha jersey ... I'm of the opinion that anyone can wear whatever kit they like and I'll still ride with them or wave at them. This doesn't stop me being (inwardly) critical of pro kit wearers or odd combinations of kit/colours! Just not my place to judge, especially as they could probably whoop my ass on the road!

At the end of the day, the fact that we/they are out enjoying the ride is all that matters surely?
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • scott_w1987
    scott_w1987 Posts: 316
    I suppose at the end of the day if you don't care you don't care. I try and keep myself stylish on and off the bike and in general I'm just a brand whore

Actually most of the time I get very little reaction off other general cyclists or ones with no taste but I still go around waving at everyone even while riding in cat1/2/3 training bunches... Maybe I look too elite :shock:
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    birdie23 wrote:
    ... Now I have some Strava Gran Fondo Cuore kit from last year (I know exactly what you're all thinking but it's nice gear and I'd love to get more without the Strava branding but the only options I've seen are Strava or IAM Cycling) and this is what I was wearing when I went into their store. Two of the guys cracked a "Do you work for Strava?" gag, which is fine - love a bit of banter and since I think no cycling kit is particularly flattering I'm not fussed. But both were so deadpan afterwards that I think they were actually serious...
    Feel fortunate - if I walked into such a store clad in lycra I'd probably be asked if I was employed by wrestle-mania.