How do you make your bike "Your Own"

SpaceBlaster
SpaceBlaster Posts: 8
edited June 2015 in Road beginners
How do you guys make your bike your own? whilst buying it sure helps whats the first thing you do after buying a new bike to really make sure it's suited to you?

feel free to share pictures of your first upgrades and bikes.

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I got the shop to change the chainrings (I like a closer ratio than 50/34) and fitted Kool-Stop brake pads. And it's perfect!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Put my favourite saddle and bar tape on it.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    I bought my Trek 2nd hand, it's now almost gone the full "Trigger's Broom" route, only the frame & saddle are original.
    I bought my Rose using their configurator then also specced a couple of additional changes during the build so it was unique all along.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If you build from frameset up... then its 'yours' from the moment you unwrap the bubblewrap.
    Plenty of CAAD10s out there... but none like mine.. not a single one.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Let it get to a level of dirtiness that no self respecting cyclist would be able to live with. My favourite bike went for months with several dead wasps stuck to the energy drink residue on the frame!
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    I used to ride with a guy who would, when he had a new bike, take it out into the countryside by himself and knock one out on the saddle. A form of christening. :lol:

And no it wasn't me!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Ride it for several thousands of km. Do some special events on it. It's all sentimental nonsense of course, but I have an emotional connection with each of my bikes as I remember the journeys and places I have seen with them.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I scratch my name in the top tube.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I stuck another saddle on it but mainly because I couldn't get on with the one on it, oh and shortened the stem. To be honest I tend to put up with the little things I would rather change - I wouldn't have bought those bars, that bar tape and I'd stick a 36 rather than a 34 inner ring on - but it all costs money and they are things that I'll probably change as and when rather than doing it to get it just right.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    marcusjb wrote:
    Ride it for several thousands of km. Do some special events on it. It's all sentimental nonsense of course, but I have an emotional connection with each of my bikes as I remember the journeys and places I have seen with them.
    +1
    I can't get rid of my 25 year old, first proper road bike and first bike I bought for myself.£450 back then so wasn't a bad bike in its day I think. It's not rideable and hasn't been for a few years now. It positively reeks of memories of rides I've done. My growing of age bike if that makes sense. A 9.5kg xl steel framed bike which I think is light for such an old bike and its only Reynolds 501 tubing so not even made of a light steel tubeset. All original kit too.

My personalization only consists of adding what I need. Such as guards, rack, light brackets, bike computer, etc. I might put reflective stickers on too.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Saddle.

If it came with cheap tyres, replace those. My original ones are used for the turbo in winter.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Custom made for me with my name painted on the top tube.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    My Ti Deluxe,custom made for me and a keeper for sure- the emotional side of where you go is a strong pull as well.

But once I've bought a bike I've always considered it, even a generic model like the Roubaix , my own. :D
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Sourced nearly every component and built them myself.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Built it from scratch myself. Was good fun
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    JGSI wrote:
    If you build from frameset up... then its 'yours' from the moment you unwrap the bubblewrap.
    Plenty of CAAD10s out there... but none like mine.. not a single one.
    quite right - i dont buy complete bikes anymore, having discovered the joy and pleasure the selection and purchase of all the components brings.. the enjoyment of seeing it all come together is a match for the first ride.. and you wont see it's twin

do it, you'll never buy off the shelf again I suspect
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I would suggest that getting a decent set of bottle cages and pedals is the start for the first thousand miles.

I've now swapped:
    - Stem
    - Bar Tape
    - Seat post
    - Wheelset
    - Brake pads
    - Cables

I'd say my bike is pretty much mine now.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Researched and sourced all the parts then built it up myself.

Then got a local holy person to perform a marriage ceremony so i could make it my own

Consummating the marriage was optional.

I took the option.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    TurboTommy wrote:
    Researched and sourced all the parts then built it up myself.

Then got a local holy person to perform a marriage ceremony so i could make it my own

Consummating the marriage was optional.

I took the option.
    That's commitment. But how do you handle the break up when a younger model catches your eye?
    Personally, I go somewhere discrete and toss one out on the saddle. No strings attached!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    Over time bits will change. The saddle, the handlebar tape, the wheels, the tyres, an upgrade or two, some scratches, a different bottle cage...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    Leave it in the shed for my wife to dump her bike on top of it and leave a unique scratch on the frame.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    I believe it's possible to get your name on a personalised decal ... If only there were a thread with say, pictures available of a superb set with a link to a patriotic site to buy from.
  • pinno
    I believe it's possible to get your name on a personalised decal ... If only there were a thread with say, pictures available of a superb set with a link to a patriotic site to buy from.

You're off your head if you think there would ever be a thread like that on BR. :roll:
  • wishitwasallflat

You're off your head if you think there would ever be a thread like that on BR. :roll:

Even in this post election, Sepp Blatter world a man can surely dream ...
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    write-a-bike.jpg

I have a problem with bike fit. Ben is to short, while Benjamin has a huge wheelbase and virtual top-tube length.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Benny
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • pinno
    Change you name to Sally.
  • wishitwasallflat