Size Advice...

Rookie1986
Rookie1986 Posts: 153
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Just wondering if someone can help me, after getting measured I seem to come up right on the size guide edge between two sizes (XS & S) - this leaves me a little unsure on what to do next, the XS comes with 650b and the S comes with 29's but other then that both bikes are identical, I can't test the bike as its mail order from bike discount.... so its leaving my a little stuck on what to do....

From your experience which size would I be better choosing???

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Length/reach is more important, check that against what you ride now.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rookie1986
    cooldad wrote:

I don't ride now, this would be my first bike :(
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    My advice would be to head down to your LBS and try a few for size then when you get home check their geometry, particularly effective top tube length and then compare against the bike you want for a more informed decision.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I wouldn't go mail order for your first bike, you have no reference to compare geometry to. Get some test rides and buy the bike you like most.
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I wouldn't go mail order for your first bike, you have no reference to compare geometry to. Get some test rides and buy the bike you like most.

So I'd be better taking the Trek Marlin 7 (my original choice) over the Radon ZR Team 29 7.0??
  • rockmonkeysc
    Maybe not that one in particular, it's pretty bad for the money. Something like a Decathlon Rockrider or Carrera would be much better, you may not get a full test ride but should at least get a spin around the car park.
  • Rookie1986
    Maybe not that one in particular, it's pretty bad for the money. Something like a Decathlon Rockrider or Carrera would be much better, you may not get a full test ride but should at least get a spin around the car park.

Hmmmm I can't seem to find anywhere that stock Decathlon bikes =/

My local Halfords stock Carrera, but I'm a little unsure on spec, what difference are we talking between something like a Carrera Fury 2015 and say a Radon ZR Team 29 7.0 or a Canyon Yellowstone AL 4.9??
  • rockmonkeysc
    Decathlon stock Decathlon bikes.
  • Rookie1986

Ah, no good then - website shows " No Decathlon stores present in this area" for my post code and it's a 300 mile round trip for me to get to one of their "Northern" stores =/
  • rockmonkeysc
    Rookie1986 wrote:

Ah, no good then - website shows " No Decathlon stores present in this area" for my post code and it's a 300 mile round trip for me to get to one of their "Northern" stores =/

I've always said anything north of Bristol counts as the north of England