Black Shed cafe Shepherd's Patch Slimbridge

whoof
whoof Posts: 756
edited June 2018 in Road general
Does anyone know what has happened to the Black Shed cafe Shepherd's Patch Slimbridge? Last time I went there is was shut, is it being refurbished and just closed? It was very popular with cyclist from the Bristol/Gloucester area. I particularly liked the excitement of going to the toilet and wondering if I would fall through the floor.

Comments

• stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    Looked open to me when i went past last Sunday.
  • whoof
    stretchy wrote:
    Looked open to me when i went past last Sunday.

Thanks it must have shut temporarily.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    By coincidence, I rode by it yesterday morning and asked one of the workmen what was going on. Apparently, it's getting a major refurbishment and, although he wasn't certain about the completion date, he reckoned 'by the summer'. Given the amount of stripping out that seemed to be going on and the fact that we are almost in June now, that seemed a bit optimistic but I reckon they will pull out all the stops as to not be in business over the summer would cost them a fortune in lost revenue.
    I live just down the canal from Slimbridge and will post updates as and when I get down that way.
    Hope this helps.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • whoof
    ayjaycee wrote:
    By coincidence, I rode by it yesterday morning and asked one of the workmen what was going on. Apparently, it's getting a major refurbishment and, although he wasn't certain about the completion date, he reckoned 'by the summer'. Given the amount of stripping out that seemed to be going on and the fact that we are almost in June now, that seemed a bit optimistic but I reckon they will pull out all the stops as to not be in business over the summer would cost them a fortune in lost revenue.
    I live just down the canal from Slimbridge and will post updates as and when I get down that way.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks, I would appreciate that. It's a nice ride and good to sit outside by the canal with a cuppa.
  • ayjaycee
    Whoof (and anyone else who's interested), I rode past the Black Shed again yesterday and have to say that there wasn't much sign of progress or, indeed, life in general. The place is pretty much stripped out but I couldn't see enough to say whether the piles of stuff lying around inside were old materials waiting to be scrapped / recycled or new stuff for the refurb. I spoke briefly with the guy working the canal bridge who confessed to having no inside knowledge but also theorised that they might not even re-open and he thought they were simply doing the work in order to sell up. There was three narrow boats tied up which are usually for hire and they didn't look like they had moved for some time either.

As I said in my last post, it seems bizarre that they would wait until this time of year to shut up shop as it is probably approaching their busiest time and, all in all, things aren't looking good.

That said, I will keep an eye on the place and post again if there is any change.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • ayjaycee
    Whoof (and anyone else who's interested), I passed the Black Shed again today and saw some guys working in there so stopped and spoke with their boss. Apparently, it's getting the full monty with the intention of re-opening during September. They are a bit peeved that they will be missing the busiest time of year but delays were apparently caused the local planning authorities who insisted that they could not demolish and replace with a very similar structure as intended because the existing structure was 'important' (the name's a giveaway i'ts a tin roofed shed that's been painted black. How important can that be?). Also the job is taking longer due to other issues that were uncovered as they stripped it out.

At least the outlook isn't as bad as it first seemed.

I'll update as and when.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • tomsdad
    tomsdad Posts: 221
    I have to agree with ayjaycee.
    I went there some time back to find out what was going on as it was a very popular stop for our bike club,Mind you the service was getting so slow that we were not going there if there was more than about four of us.Any way as the other person I managed to bump into the builders and they told me the same that they wanted to replace the building with a modern copy but was told they might get trouble with planning as it is a building of interest! So they were having to completely refurbish but they were coming across more problems as they went.
    I really really do hope that this cafe/bar does reopen as it is a very useful and welcome stop when riding that way.
    We need more places like this that will allow cyclists in be they wet or cold or whatever and where a nice little sarnnie and cuppa goes down a treat.
    I for one say good luck and God speed them.
  • ayjaycee
    It's been a while but I rode past The Black Shed earlier today and for the first time this year. In short, not a lot has happened since the last time that I reported on it (ie. it is still in a state of disrepair and no further work seems to have been carried out since last summer). Although, as mentioned above, I was originally told that there had been a dispute of some kind between the owners and Stroud District Council, I spoke to one of the boat owners today who told me that he had heard that the dispute was between the owner and the Canal and Rivers Trust. Whatever the truth might be about the problems, my personal view (which I hope is wrong) is that the outlook is bleak and that the place will eventually just disappear but I will post again if I hear of or see any further developments.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    That's rubbish. I hate it when we lose a cafe.

We used to have a greasy spoon cafe called Lock Gates by the canal in Tarporley - it was ok.
    Then it was bought and done out completely, Great food, great cofffee - lovely decking area. It only lasted about a year and it closed down. crazy that given how popular cycling is (and coffee houses) that they cant make a go of it.
  • whoof
    Thanks for the update. I've up there a few times with Mrs Whoof and we have had a meal in the pub opposite which is OK.
    But if you just want a cup of tea and a bit of cake or beans on toast or something you can't beat a caff.

Personally I'm all for a bit of a refurb, you almost fell through the floor at the Black Shed as it sagged so much but not so keen on modern transformations. I used to stop off at the Warmely Waiting Rooms on the Bath Bristol railway path for a fry up and a mug of tea if I was riding the Avon Valley loop. It's been taken over by new people who I am sure are very nice and I wish them all the best but now it's all paninis and flat whites.
    There was a time when if you stopped at a café on a club run a person made you either a mug of tea or coffee, for me it's always tea. Now a Barista makes some hand-crafted delicacy which means if you in a group and 10th in line it will be 1/2 an hour before you get yours.
  • ayjaycee
    I dunno, these modern cyclists and their funny ideas like drinking coffee and stuff eh - where will it all end? I hear what you say but it's got to be better than the old spoonful of Nescafe Instant in a chipped cup hasn't it? Or am I being too progressive in my old age?

Only joking - as mentioned above, I'll keep eyes and ears open for any progress at Slimbridge.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • ayjaycee
    I can't believe that it's been so long since this subject was first raised but, if anybody is interested, I went to the Black Shed today as I heard that it had re-opened. I am happy to confirm that it has and seems to have been scrubbed up quite well. They serve decent coffee and also had a decent range of cakes on show if that turns you on. Apparently, it's been open since last November - sorry for not posting earlier but I had not heard the news until recently.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S