Shimano R078 shoe fault

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited May 2015 in Workshop
After some advise before I try returning these shoes. The sole has 5 screw fittings, I only need the 3 for spd-sl pedals. First few weeks were fine but then the two remaining bolts started moving and rattling quite a lot.

Is there a way to remove the plates holding these two in?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited June 2015
    On my Nike touring shoes I think you can get at the SPD mounting plate from the inside having removed the insole.

Edited to add: Oh no you can't! Must've been thinking of some other shoes I've seen... Not a problem so far since the cleats are bolted to them, and with copperslip on the threads so they don't get stuck. 10 years old now and still going strong. Do cycling shoes ever wear out???
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Not answering the specific question but I had the same problem with my Louis Garneau LS100. I couldn't see a good way to remove the spd insert without, perhaps, damaging the insole. I ended up cutting up an old, soft rubber and inserting a little piece in each spd slot from underneath.

As an aside, it took me a while to understand where the rattling noise from the drive side was coming from...
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    And it's not a valid reason to return them either.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    I have a pair of these for winter and turbo use, never heard any rattling whatsoever in nearly 18 months of use. :?
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    thanks all, well I returned them for the exact same pair. New shoes have a little movement but are much firmer, although that will prob get looser as time goes on. Have seen a few people moan about this online, and a couple have tried adding a bit of glue to keep the plate in place. May try that, and the rubber suggestion. As for returning.. the guys at the store heard the loose, rattling plate immediately and thought it was perfectly reasonable to warrant a return.