120mm Full Sus

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Okay, so a friend is looking for a full sus with around 100mm - 120mm rear and 120mm forks

Budget up to £2000

Any suggestions?

So far they've looked at;
Giant Anthem SX
Canyon Nerve
Saracen Kili flyer 122
Trek Fuel

Comments

• mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    What sort of riding are they looking at doing?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That covers a huge range of bikes from more traditional xc bikes like the Giant Anthem to more hardcore bike like the Transition Scout. Amount of suspension does not define how a bike rides or what style of riding it suits.
    What sort of riding is it for?
  • ej2320
    Mainly used on open grassy XC and some more technical trails
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Specialized Camber Evo?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    Giant Anthem. Superb bike and reasonable value. I loved mine and would have another.
  • ej2320
    Camber evo seemed good but the cost might be an issue

The Anthem SX looks good value so he was interested in that
  • Caveman_Chris
    Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
    JBA wrote:
    Specialized Camber Evo?

Love my whyte T129s. This years cheapest is last years mid range, the s at £2100 rrp. If I were buying mine again however, I would be tempted with the camber (of some kind)
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • I have just bought an Anthem SX. I love it.

I am no suspension guru but 100mm on the rear seems plenty to back up the 120mm you get on the front with the added benefit that it climbs like a mountain goat.

Component wise it is good all over. The Giant own brand hubs are made by DT swiss. The own brand rims are fairly light. The Giant dropper post works well and is only a bit heavier than a reverb. The bar and stem are a reasonable weight and are well finished. I even like the grips and find the saddle fairly comfy. SLX shifters, brakes, chainset and front mech with an XT rear mech. Its a great package
  • rockmonkeysc
    I had a 120mm fork on my old Anthem so similar to the SX but 26". It made a nice all round trail / xc bike.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    ej2320 wrote:
    Camber evo seemed good but the cost might be an issue

If 29er is your mate's bag Leisure Lakes have the 2014 Camber Evo on sale for £1,700 (Medium only).
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    A biased vote for the Canyon Nerve. Mine's handled everything I've thrown at it. Great, light frame and a bargain set of parts.
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    I`m totally over the moon with my Fuel Ex 8. Fantastic bike
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently