Tyres "For Racing Only"

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited May 2015 in Road general
Checking over my tyres last night (they're fine, you'll be glad to know) I noticed the label says "for racing only". What can this possibly mean? If they're good enough for a stage of the Giro or the Paris-Roubaix, I'd imagine they're fine for my sub-30kph efforts. Can anyone enlighten me?
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    It means they're designed to last about as long as an average race. If you're lucky.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    which tyres?

it could mean tyres that are very light, i.e. if you train on them you'll be using up a lot of tyres, but it might also be just marketing bs...
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited May 2015
    Interesting, never saw that on any tyres before. What were they ?
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Either marketing nonsense or they could have no puncture protection and/or less rubber to save weight and make them more supple (like conti supersonics).
  • Giraffoto
    sungod wrote:
    which tyres?

Specialized Turbo. Lovely grippy tyres, by the way, so the rubber may be softer than most.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Marketing guff. Feel free to ignore.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    I was told those are a rebadged version of the latest Vittoria Diamante, with minor changes... expect short life and frequent punctures, otherwise fine
    left the forum March 2023
  • Giraffoto
    I was told those are a rebadged version of the latest Vittoria Diamante

Didn't Specialized start out with imported Italian components? Maybe it's still a viable business model :lol:
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I was told those are a rebadged version of the latest Vittoria Diamante

Didn't Specialized start out with imported Italian components? Maybe it's still a viable business model :lol:

They're made in Thailand
    left the forum March 2023
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Was it on this or another cycling forum , where someone was asking what 'Service Course' meant on Michelin ProRace tyres, and on being told it was because they were used by racing teams, he wanted to know if he'd be able to tell which team had used his tyres, seemed to think he was getting part-worn cast-offs which someone had used in a Tour stage...