Happy 5000th anniversary!

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited May 2015 in Commuting chat
Yup, my commuter, which was built from nearly all pre-loved parts has now completed 5000miles, Ok lots of bits have been changed (mostly as upgrades - although most of them have done 4000+, only the tyres, jockey wheels and gripshift wore out) but the frame and a few other bits and pieces still soldier on, here is to the next 5000!
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Pictures of said commuter
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,241
    Is that supposed to be a little or a lot? :roll:

My do it all bike has surely done over 10,000 but it's less than 2 years old: basically the laquer on the paint still looks shiny and the headset bearings are still the original
    left the forum March 2023
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Is that supposed to be a little or a lot? :roll:

My do it all bike has surely done over 10,000 but it's less than 2 years old: basically the laquer on the paint still looks shiny and the headset bearings are still the original

Hey, he's a Rookie - be nice!

I cracked open a giant Toblerone when mine did its first 5k. Would have been rude not to :D Congrats anyway.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • The Rookie
    Neither a lot nor a little, and it's taken some time as I don't have a long commute and am away a lot, but just thought I'd mention it in celebration of her good service!
    0EE2564D-8F22-44AA-8D9A-A422409F3214_zps1h9n9416.jpg
    Frame is a 2006 Carrera Gryphon, Mosso forks, mostly MTB finishing kit with a Gripshift to declutter the bars, headset is original 2006.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    "I've had the same broom for 20 years. It's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles...."
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • The Rookie
    haha, except this is most definitely the same frame, so no comparison I'm afraid Trigger.

Quick check of the service history says the following are unchanged from very first build
    Frame, headset, headset spacers, stem, bars, seatpost, rack, mudguards (when fitted for 'winter'), brake discs and callipers.

Rear mech (apart from jockeys), shifter (grip serviced) and chainset have done over 4000 miles.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Wasn't having a go - just reminded me of the quote & made me laugh.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • The Rookie
    Alright Dave.....
  • My Equilibrium must have done over 22,000 since I built it four years ago, since then it's had everything except the frame, barrel adjusters and seatpost collar changed at least once. I would have changed the barrel adjusters, but they're well and truly stuck.