Bike Advice

Glenster0804
Glenster0804 Posts: 5
edited May 2015 in Commuting general
Hi All,

This is my first time visiting and posting on the forum. Please forgive me as I am really clueless about bikes and have not ridden one for a couple of years.

But just started a new job, which is quite easy to commute to via the cuckoo trial and would save money on unnecessary petrol costs. So planning on buying a bike and cycling to work.

As stated above need a bike mainly for commuting on a daily basis and perhaps use on holidays and weekends if I catch the bug again! So only after a good entry level bike so no need to break the bank but after something that with good quality to last through high usage and that will provide a good ride as journey will be around 30 mins to and back from work.

I assume a hybrid bike would suit me best (though please correct me if I am wrong and a mtb or road would be better), as the cuckoo trail is off road but mostly pathed (some pics below)

cuckoo_trail.jpg

200px-Cuckoo_Trail_between_Polegate_and_Hailsham_-_geograph.org.uk_-_62562.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ73cqRsZuA3O8fmaa2EGjKjcC7DCmo8ey3PGm9ZTdK0HX8oQVh9w

I am not overly fussed about budget, but do want to break the bank for an occasional use bike. Have set aside around £200-£300 for a second hand/recycled bike but only as a rough gauge.

Could anyone give me some examples of great bikes that would be ideal for me.

Thanks for viewing, reading and hopefully helping. It is much appreciated.

Any info I left out or other questions, please ask.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Post this in commuting chat as it will get much more response. Looks like a lovely commute!

I would suggest a cross bike (like a road bike but clearances for wider, knobbly tyres and mudguards) to cope with the varied terrain. Not sure where to get one for £300 though! Maybe an old mountain bike with slicks?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check out the Voodoo marasa at halfords, effectively a 29er rigid mountain bike but on a Hybrid use tyre, excellent value and with just a change of tyre can be anything from a fastich road Hybrid to a full on rigid mountain bike.

A decent 'cross bike would be good, but you'll struggle on that budget.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • coriordan wrote:
    Post this in commuting chat as it will get much more response. Looks like a lovely commute!

I would suggest a cross bike (like a road bike but clearances for wider, knobbly tyres and mudguards) to cope with the varied terrain. Not sure where to get one for £300 though! Maybe an old mountain bike with slicks?

Sure does, very picturesque, will have to try hard to keep eyes on the path rather than the scenery!

Unfortunately not been through there yet, only got those pics of google to give idea of terrain but seems a nice way to start the day! :D

£300 was a bit stingy, was hoping I might be able to buy a decent second hand bike in good nick for that amount but can easily spend more for a new model. Just trying to find out whats best as a lot of variety out there.

I must admit, I have not even looked at cross bikes. Any particular brands or models to look out for?
    Check out the Voodoo marasa at halfords, effectively a 29er rigid mountain bike but on a Hybrid use tyre, excellent value and with just a change of tyre can be anything from a fastich road Hybrid to a full on rigid mountain bike.

A decent 'cross bike would be good, but you'll struggle on that budget.

Thanks for the feedback therookie, as stated above my initial budget was a bit stingy but was hoping might be able to pick up a decent second hand one in good nick but happy to spend more for new model or better bike if its going to stand up to the test of time.

Any other brands or models, to have a look at.

Thanks for all your help so far.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Marasa spec wouyld cost you about £400 almost anywhere else if that helps!

Used would be a good option if you can find a decent crosser, a Boardman would be one to look out for.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Please don't take this the wrong way... but almost any bike would do for that.

You've got one of the gentlest, loveliest-sounding commutes I've ever heard of. I'm envious, and I live in West Sussex. If you really want new, then Rookie's advice on the Voodoo is very sound, but really, any bike would cope with that commute!
    You don't say how far it is, but I'm guessing it's about say 5 miles or so (given a 30 minute bimble; you're unlikely to hammer along!). You don't really need a crosser for that. Any old hybrid/MTB with slicks/single speed is really totally fine. I'd lean towards 30+mm-ish tyres 'cos of gravel nonsense, but avoid knobblies.

How far are you going?
    Will you do it in all weathers?
    Do you need to carry luggage?
    What's the road surface like?
    How tall are you (inside leg etc)?

You'll easily be able to get a secondhand bike for that money which suits. Something singlespeed is likely to last longer without maintenance. You're unlikely to need gears because it's flat.... You can get a full-on touring bike for about 25 quid.... Try doing that, and spending 275 quid on wine!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.