"'er indoors" has tumble dried my Gabba

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited February 2016 in Road general
And it's now wind proof but not water repellant

Options...

A) is there a way to fix this? (Nickwax or something similar)

B) should I use this as an excuse to buy another?

C) should I iron a big hole in her favourite jacket?

D) all of the above

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    *Unless you want to do all your own laundry I'd be careful on your next steps.

Then of course you could follow some separated or divorced forum members comments on here.......

The choice is yours and since it's still windproof I don't see the issue. Water repellence was always a mute claim anyway.

*Caveat Unless your married to Mrs Sturgeon in which case I'd feed her some man meat to keep her quiet....
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    how long was it in the drier for?

Just reproof it with nikwax tx wash in and so long as the fibres aren't damaged it will be fine.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    just raid your local Millets ( whatever they are called now) or Go Outdoors for the waterproofer
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Strange as when you use nikwax spray you put it into the tumble dryer to activate it to set it into the fabric !
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Slowmart wrote:
    Caveat Unless your married to Mrs Sturgeon in which case I'd feed her some man meat to keep her quiet....

Consideing you're hung from your forehead, said meat won't be coming from you.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    janwal wrote:
    Strange as when you use nikwax spray you put it into the tumble dryer to activate it to set it into the fabric !

Do you??
    Not according to their website instructions:
    Nikwax TX.Direct® Spray-On is easy and quick to apply, and its highly Durable Water Repellency (DWR) develops on air drying. The need for tumble drying is removed, this saves energy and protects more vulnerable, older, garments from heat.

The Gabba can be tumble dried on low (apparently in a pillow case).
    http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/CastelliC ... Care-Guide
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    I thought putting a gabba or any castelli nanoflex stuff in the dryer reactivated the water repellency? Or ironing on a low setting.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I guess the key may be how hot was the tumble dryer when she did it? Low heat should actually be good but if it got really hot that may not be so great, or might not be a problem.

Either way, the answer is to use this as an excuse to buy something new and shiny like a Castelli Alpha and then try and Nikwax the Gabba to see how it works out. If you fix the Gabba first then you will lose your excuse...!
  • I thought Gabba and its copy-cat variants water repellency wasn't anything to do with a "treatment", and was some black magic related to the actual fibre construction itself?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I thought Gabba and its copy-cat variants water repellency wasn't anything to do with a "treatment", and was some black magic related to the actual fibre construction itself?

It's both really, if you get a regular bit of clothing and treat it you won't find it's anywhere near as water repellent, or for as long.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    All of my Gabba stuff must have come pre-tumble-dried as none of it has been very water-repellant. It's light and windproof. Its water resistance has been waaaay overhyped in my opinion.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    I thought Gabba and its copy-cat variants water repellency wasn't anything to do with a "treatment", and was some black magic related to the actual fibre construction itself?

The Gabba's so called water repellency is due to a surface treatment
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Slowmart wrote:
    Caveat Unless your married to Mrs Sturgeon in which case I'd feed her some man meat to keep her quiet....

Consideing you're hung from your forehead, said meat won't be coming from you.

Either one would fit. Whatever it takes to shut the nationalistic BS coming out.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • All of my Gabba stuff must have come pre-tumble-dried as none of it has been very water-repellant. It's light and windproof. Its water resistance has been waaaay overhyped in my opinion.

I blame those unless clowns in Quality Control. Probably spend all day surfing the internet.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    To me it sounds like the DWR treatment has been stripped. This is not done by tumble drying, as this normally helps reactivate it.

Question: Does your wife use Bio washing powder or liquid?

I have been told (so that is not gospel) that you should use non-bio liquid and definitely not powder.

I have had my Gabba convertible for a while now (since they came out) and washing in a net bag inside out with non-bio liquid and then tumble drying has kept the water repellency. The water beads off fine. Remember it is water repellent, not proof, so it will wet out after a while.

Mine is starting though to not have quite as good performance, and I bought some Nikwax softshell spray rather some time ago. They now appear to do Softshell wash-in too
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    brettjmcc wrote:
    To me it sounds like the DWR treatment has been stripped. This is not done by tumble drying, as this normally helps reactivate it.

Question: Does your wife use Bio washing powder or liquid?

I have been told (so that is not gospel) that you should use non-bio liquid and definitely not powder.

I have had my Gabba convertible for a while now (since they came out) and washing in a net bag inside out with non-bio liquid and then tumble drying has kept the water repellency. The water beads off fine. Remember it is water repellent, not proof, so it will wet out after a while.

Mine is starting though to not have quite as good performance, and I bought some Nikwax softshell spray rather some time ago. They now appear to do Softshell wash-in too

Everything I own with any water/windproof gets washed in Nickwax Techwash (although, soap crystals work OK too). I'd take it to your local outdoor shop and ask their advise - I would think that Nickwax or Grainger (you put granger in the tumbler after treatment) shoudl do the trick.

OR, if you are a small, sell it to me for £15.
    Insert bike here:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Does your wife use Bio washing powder or liquid?

Bio is only enzymes - great for breaking down fats and proteins etc but only to help detergents. The only real difference with powders is that they can contain stable bleaches whereas liquids can't.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    The wash-in reproofers need a low heat tumble dry or an iron on low heat and a towel inbetween to activate. The Nikwax TX Direct spray-on stuff defo doesn't need this step. I've used both on my Gabba and NoRain arm warmers and they do restore the water repellancy.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Tell her all is forgiven if the filthiest sex is performed this weekend. :twisted:
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Did you ask "er indoors" what was "occurring" when she tumble dried your Gabba, and did you ask Terry to "give er a slap"?
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    DJ58 wrote:
    Did you ask "er indoors" what was "occurring" when she tumble dried your Gabba, and did you ask Terry to "give er a slap"?

I must admit that i went "f@ckin tonto".
  • rbarcan
    rbarcan Posts: 206
    The Castelli washing advice needs to be read with care. It seems to suggest that tumble drying in a pillow case will help reactivate the water resistance but also says only if the label says you can. Mine says not to tumble dry or iron!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    This has been covered elsewhere. "Normal" washing liquid/powder (bio or not) contains "wetting agents" which force the detergent solution to penetrate the fabric. This wrecks the DWR layer. It's the washing, not the tumble-drying, which caused the problem. Nikwax TX is the reproofing answer, and TechWash is the way to avoid the problem in future. Always use TX on a freshly-washed, wet garment. Lay it on newspaper, as the spray gets everywhere, and try to avoid waterproofing your hands.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Muc off spray on fabric treatment works fine.
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    I've found that grangers xtreme repel gives better results than nickwax sprays, I've never seen any real difference between tumbling and 'line dry' when reproofing.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    LegendLust wrote:

Is this not the case with all DWR with, largely, waterproofness being an impermeable barrier - Goretex or proofed nylon or just a very tightly woven material (Paramo).
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

Is this not the case with all DWR with, largely, waterproofness being an impermeable barrier - Goretex or proofed nylon or just a very tightly woven material (Paramo).

No. DWR and equivalents use a process where the fabric is 'bathed' in a treatment, whereby nano molecules are impregnated into the fabric. The idea is that rain beads off the fabric and doesn't penetrate.

Goretex and other equivalents work on the principle that rain molecules are bigger than sweat vapour. So the fabric is woven tightly so that the gaps between the threads are smaller than rain molecules but big enough to let sweat vapour through.

Both types require careful washing.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    PTestTeam wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

No. DWR and equivalents use a process where the fabric is 'bathed' in a treatment, whereby nano molecules are impregnated into the fabric. The idea is that rain beads off the fabric and doesn't penetrate.

Goretex and other equivalents work on the principle that rain molecules are bigger than sweat vapour. So the fabric is woven tightly so that the gaps between the threads are smaller than rain molecules but big enough to let sweat vapour through.

Both types require careful washing.

That's what I said but fewer words!
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Well, as a new gabba owner I suggest you need not worry, as the bugger isn't waterproof anyway.

My sportful no rain bibs were - that is until mrs Mpatts washed them. Oh well.
    Insert bike here:
  • TheHound wrote:
    I thought putting a gabba or any castelli nanoflex stuff in the dryer reactivated the water repellency? Or ironing on a low setting.
    This is what I thought too.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'