Epic 10 speed upgrade FAIL

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited May 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
as the title implies i've just created an epic upgrade FAIL!!!

last weekend I decided to finally trim down my gear cables after i think 5 years of working perfectly but looking fugly, a mix of 9 speed LX shifters with deore mechs and crankset.

Not the greatest set up but one that works well and does for my minimal needs, anyway whilst cutting said cables i thought to myself why not upgrade to something a little newer ...? :roll:

a few minutes later and i'd ordered a new 10 speed SLX front and rear mech, being from the "otherside" of cycling i figured mixing 9-10 speed was more not supported than not compatible, seems i was wrong :?

for a start the new mechs are way different in looks to the deore much more so than the same brand in road kit and as for trying to fudge a fit, er no way it would seem.

So it looks like i'm now in for a new set of shifters and cassette oh and a bleeding smaller chainring, seems the 44T won't work with SLX dyna-sys.

Questions is, am i correct about needing new shifters, cassette and at least chainring?
Should road cyclist be allowed to fettle with MTB's?

tut!
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Shifters and cassette yes, chain rings as far as I'm aware should be ok, hopefullŷ someone a little more knowledgeable will confirm.
  • itboffin
    thanks

shifters i just ordered i'm going to try a 10 11-27 speed SRAM road cassette i have as for the chainring its rubbing against mech already, i think that will be next on the list.

its a good job outdoors is free :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Can you adjust the position of the mech? Also is your seat post straight or does it have a bend in it?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why a road cassette? Just leaves you changing gear more, which is a pain.

Your current rings will be fine.

You need chain, cassette, rear mech, RH shifter to all match. I
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Chainring rubbing the mech is just a cr@p setup, it shouldn't be able to touch.

as 11-27 is available on a 9 speed, that cassette choice is a bit strange for an MTB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • itboffin
    well i've bought the shifters and all ready have a 10 speed 11-27 or could be 28, i buy KMC in bulk so no worries there, are for the front mech rubbing on the mech that's a weird one, i think i'll wait until the shifters arrive then start over.

next up is to ditch the stupidly heavy suspension forks
  • njee20
    So you're turning your mtb into a road bike are you?
  • itboffin
    Rumbled
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    44t for a single ring with an 11-27 cassette? That's not a mountain bike set up.
  • njee20
    Hence my comment. Also going rigid forks.

Upgrading to 10 speed seems a waste of money. Hey ho.
  • The Rookie
    Should have used drop bars and a road shifter, then the 9 speed mech could have stayed!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    The Rookie wrote:
    Should have bought a road bike

FTFY
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Did you drink the beers before starting the 'upgrade' Boff? You are developing the fettling skills of Mr 66.
  • itboffin
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Did you drink the beers before starting the 'upgrade' Boff? You are developing the fettling skills of Mr 66.

more a case of NOT drinking beer before fettling, yes i've noticed on more than one occasion that the 44/11T set up is frankly pants for MTBing and the overlap of gears is silly.

what really got me thinking about upgrades was riding on the front with JZed at this years Rapha HOTN him on his lefty me on an old school steel with a compact and small block, now whilst he wasn't following the "rules" by riding off road on a MTB he also didn't seem to struggle for pace on road.

my plan now is switch to 3x10 then 2x10 and may be 1x10 if my knees can take it.

PS. dont think i havent looked around at drop bar MTBs :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Why use a mountain bike if you are riding on road? Road bikes are much better on tarmac.
    Riding on road is boring as sh1t whatever bike you're on. 20k+ miles and I still get bored stupid by the time I get to the end of my road everytime I ride tarmac.
  • njee20
    Ignore the bollocks about boredom, he's too rad for his own good, but why are you trying to make a mountain bike into a road bike?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Got full 2x10 XT on my MTB and it works a treat for what I do. Fast enough on flat or downhill and stupidly low gearing to get me up hills. I'd have thought for the HOTN a CX would be better. Haven't you got one of those? CX was great for most of the LtoB off road, only a couple of bits where it wasn't really up to it. Or more like I wasn't up to it on a CX.
  • itboffin
    Yep I have a Dolan CX but never use it anymore. I never said anything about using it on road I said whilst riding with someone on a MTB on road it gave me the idea to lose some of the crossover gearing.

My last proper off road ended in a trip to a&e followed by surgery, I'd like to go back and finish what I started but with slightly less blood, a MTB is the only tool for that job.
  • njee20
    Right. So stick with the heavy suspension fork. Buy a wider range cassette and don't worry if you can't get a chainring as big as a 44, you don't need one. 32t single rings are increasingly common, you just don't need the huge top end in the same way.
  • The Rookie
    Why use a mountain bike if you are riding on road? Road bikes are much better on tarmac.
    Riding on road is boring as sh1t whatever bike you're on. 20k+ miles and I still get bored stupid by the time I get to the end of my road everytime I ride tarmac.
    Anyone would get bored after 20,000 + miles in one go!
  • itboffin
    Fitted the slx 10 speed shifters including new cables and swapped the 44 for a 42 perfect setup beautiful shifting no rubbing, took it for a quick spin along the wickedly over grown trail at the back of my house, down to the Kennet canal and back, never missed a beat.

I did however pick up a black thorn which plugged the hole long enough for me to get home.

Forest fun tomorrow 8)
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rookie wrote:
    Anyone would get bored after 20,000 + miles in one go!

The boredom wasn't too bad, I was distracted by my ruined arse. Like a broken cat flap :shock: