Saddle Bag

snowster
snowster Posts: 490
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Does anybody still use a saddle Bag and if so can you recommend one for me?

Comments

• Pityacker
    Pityacker Posts: 10
    I just picked up a medium Topeak Wedge saddle bag from Halfords in their three-for-two thing (price matched off the website so it became the freebie). I haven't had a chance to see how well it holds up yet but I've got a 29" tube, a puncture kit (two CO2's, adapter, patches, levers) and an Alien 2 multitool in there at the moment. Had to move the saddle back a touch so it fit on the rails like.
  • Don B
    Don B Posts: 122
    As above, i have the Topeak aero wedge, room for spare tube, multi tool, energy bar, keys etc.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/e ... p-prod7361
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Does that work if you've got a dropper?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • snowster
    Don B wrote:
    As above, i have the Topeak aero wedge, room for spare tube, multi tool, energy bar, keys etc.

Can I ask what size you brought I want to fit spare inner tube multi tool and tyre leavers
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    I use the Topeak Aero Wedge in a Medium - it's plenty big enough for all of the following:

Spare Tube (26")
    Large Multi-tool
    2 x Tyre Levers
    Phone (4" Screen)
    Mini-Pump (Lezyne Pressure Drive)
    House Keys
    Self-adhesive patches
    Spare derailleur hanger
    And a small lock if I need it..

It's enormous. Mine died after 2+ years of abuse and I have just ordered another..

I use a Lezyne Micro Caddy (M) on my road bike though and that is TINY! Just fits a spare 700c tube, multitool, patches, CO2 Thingy + 2 canisters and my phone. Nothing else gets a look in... I wouldn't recommend for MTBing - a spare tube would pretty much fill it..

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • snowster
    Think I will try a small and see thanks for the help
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Don B wrote:

Same here.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I prefer a fanny pack.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I prefer a fanny pack.

You can get them in packs? Wow, that's fantastic news!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Don B
    Don B Posts: 122
    snowster wrote:
    Don B wrote:

Can I ask what size you brought I want to fit spare inner tube multi tool and tyre leavers
    I got the medium..

20150601_000833_zpsqa7usl4x.jpg
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203

A good question fellow Kona addict...I'm about to find out.
    I previously had a TopPeak Aero medium (strap on type) on my old bike that lasted a few years before it fell apart. I bought a large Clip on version for my Kona, but the clip on mechanism means the distance along the top of the bag (which is quite rigid) between the clip and the strap around the seat post if fixed, so it jams up or stops the dropper post working correctly. I got a medium size strap version somewhere in the postal service, hopefully delivered soon - i'm hoping that the bit of slack in the strap on version will allow the dropper to work OK.

Re-reading the post its about as clear as mud :? but maybe you get the idea...
    Clip on type No go with a dropper, Strap type maybe....
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406

To be honest I wouldn't even try to find out, last thing I can think of being beneficial for a seat post that costs that much is it sliding up and down through a Velcro strap. Nobody would even consider attaching something to their fork stanchions and in my eyes a dropper post is the same.
  • Pityacker
    Pityacker Posts: 10
    I just took the saddle and post off the bike and walked into Halfords with it to check the sizes before I bought the bag. Tried a couple of 29x2.1 tubes in it in the store to get an idea of what will fit in too. It held up fine on a shakedown at a local outdoor activity place the other day so it'll do me fine for a freebie.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218

Some Lezyne bags just attach with one strap around the whole thing rather than with one around the seatpost as well - worth a look?

My Micro Caddy (whilst too small for MTBing) is really well made and (hopefully) will last a long time.. :)

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie