Cassette spacer (between cogs) - where to get?

holiver
holiver Posts: 729
edited May 2015 in Workshop
I have a BBB 10 speed 12-27 Campag fit cassette on my Kinesis which I have been cleaning today. Part of this involved removing the cassette to clean it thoroughly thanks to the lube I have been using that is entirely unsatisfactory.

Somehow I have managed to break a couple of the nylon spacers that go between each of the cassette cogs. Does anyone know where to source some spares? My searches have turned up nothing so far.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    This sort of thing is why I never throw anything away. Your best bet is an old cassette; maybe your LBS can help you out?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • holiver
    Yeah I will try some local bike shops. I have already emailed BBB and the UK distributor directly.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just out of interest, how did you manage to break them?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • holiver
    I was rubbing them between thumb and forefinger with white spirit on a paper towel to remove built up crud from the lube I've been using. A couple snapped on a seam in the plastic.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Here's a thought.

They are only spacers to maintain the correct distance between specific cogs. When clamped together in the cassette block they are under compression and unlikely to go anywhere.

Why not just match up the two broken halves and stick them to one of the cassette cogs that they would normally be between using a couple of small dabs of grease. Slide the cogs + rebuilt spacers back onto the block and clamp together as normal with the appropriate torque on the lock nut.

They should still perform their function and would keep you going until you source some replacements or buy a new cassette.
  • holiver
    I know I could probably superglue the broken spacers together and bodge something - thanks for the idea using the grease. However, I would rather have new parts if possible.

I have now taken to social media to enquire, as I have had no response via email yet.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    could you not buy a new cassette, use the spacers from that and then when the cassette is worn, put the new one on but use the same spacers?

I find with stuff like this buying the little bit you need often costs as much as the whole thing. Like cleats, they are like £15 and you can get cleats and pedals for about £20! (sorry, slightly off topic)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • holiver
    Hmmm I guess I could buy a new cassette.

However, this is not a good month to be my credit card with moving house, buying my first car and starting a new career!

I was really hoping that this would be quick and cheap to fix.

BBB have also replied to my facebook post to state that they don't have it as a spare part and to contact a local dealer as they 'may' be able help me out. Amazingly there are no proper ones in Bristol.