QR slippage

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited May 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Twice now, about a month apart or so I guess I've been riding along and had the QR on my rear wheel slip so the chain side moves down and forward and the tyre slips into the seat stay and I come to an abrupt halt.

After it happened the first time I thought I'd been being anal about ensuring the QR is clamping really tight. Anything else potentially causing an issue or is it just not clamped tight enough?

Comments

• QR threads ok?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Got a Shimano?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^

If not get one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ferrals
    Nah, one of these:
    http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=156

It's only happened twice so I won't switch it for now, just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything stupid. I will double check the threads and keep an eye on it staying tight.
  • Chunkers1980
    Take it you don't have vertical dropouts? If you don't I really would consider a Shimano...
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ..or Hope.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Chunkers1980
    er, no.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ferrals wrote:
    Nah, one of these:
    http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=156

It's only happened twice so I won't switch it for now, just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything stupid. I will double check the threads and keep an eye on it staying tight.

Blingy but rubbish. Shimano use an internal cam which clamps much more securely.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ferrals
    Ah, fair enough. My old one got rusty so I just got a Ti one to avoid rust.
  • Chunkers1980
    Axels are usually steel anyway...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a Shimano, Deore is best value, but XT a bit lighter, much more secure and consistent clamping. Also check the rear dropout for damage!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    yeah good point re. dropouts. will have a look in the AM.

Will check everything, make sure it's nice and tight and if it happens again will pick up a shimano qr. I will undoubtedly get an XT one to save the grams :oops:
  • Chunkers1980
    Er - XTR...
  • Ferrals
    I did look - but Google said no (to them being available).

Any other lightweight blingy options with the same internal cam mechanism?
  • The Rookie
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Old style Tune AC16/17s had an internal cam. Not cheap though.
  • The Rookie
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/tune ... lver-28447
    €74, so about £65 for the pair delivered, not that much more than XTR.
  • Ferrals
    Cheers, would only need the rear so will get an xt or xtr one if it happens again. Well probably will get one when I have cash next month anyway to be on the safe side.

Dropouts seem ok-ish bit of damage but no cracks etc. some of the grooves (knurling?) around the dropout have been knackered as the qr slipped but not too bad
  • The Rookie
    The grooves are created by the QR, wouldn't be on the frame from new!
  • Ferrals
    haha.. I did wonder that actually as I didn't remember seeing anything when you see photos of new frames.