brakes, which of 2sets.

snig
snig Posts: 428
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Needs new brakes, bike is used for commuting on roads, was going to go for Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake but money is a little tight so have started to look at the cheaper Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brake, it's either buy the front M785 this month and the back next or both the M615 this month, I'm 15 stones, need stopping power,which should I go for?

Cheers guys.

Comments

• BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    snig wrote:
    Needs new brakes, bike is used for commuting on roads, was going to go for Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake but money is a little tight so have started to look at the cheaper Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brake, it's either buy the front M785 this month and the back next or both the M615 this month, I'm 15 stones, need stopping power,which should I go for?

Cheers guys.
    For road use the Deore would be ample. There's little difference in performance between the latest Deore, SLX and XT now, just more down to the finish.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For just Road use go for the cheapest, you won't notice the difference between a top spec brake and a basic one.
  • snig
    Cheers guys, Deore it is then!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have Deore on my Transition. They're actually very good brakes.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Deore don't have the servo wave action that the xt and slx do. Depends if you see that as a good thing or not worth the extra tenner for the slx.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    oodboo wrote:
    Deore don't have the servo wave action that the xt and slx do. Depends if you see that as a good thing or not worth the extra tenner for the slx.

Deore do have Servo Wave. The only decent Shimano brakes not to get Servo Wave are the XTR Race's. The difference between Deore, SLX, XT and XTR Trail is negligible. Having owned several Deore's and XTR's and used a few XT's, there really isn't much difference at all. Really the only difference I've found is a nicer feeling lever on the XTR but that's personal, power and modulation were nearly identical.

I'm well over 100kg's and the Deore's can stop me no problems with 160/140mm rotors.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have cheap mechanical discs on my commuter, still using the same ones as it approaches 5000miles, they work fine for road use and are lighter (well this setup is) than most hydraulic.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    peter413 wrote:
    oodboo wrote:
    Deore do have Servo Wave.
    He's right you know ;)

My mistake, I didn't think they did but they do though don't they though.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • snig
    ordered the Deore's but do I need a mount adapter? the front p.m, the back I'm not sure so here's pic, both rotors are 160mm...
    photonnn_zpsomqms5yh.jpg[/URL]
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The rear in the photo is IS. Presuming the deores are PM, you'll need a rear IS to PM 160mm adapter for the rear. At the front you shouldn't need an adapter using a 160mm rotor.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    As stated you will need a rear 160mm IS to PM adaptor. Make sure it's a rear as the front and back mounts are different sizes so if you fit a front 160mm mount on the rear you will need a 140mm rotor. That's how I've mounted my 140mm rotors.
  • snig
    Cheers Antm81 and Peter413.
  • Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    I come in a few kilos more and had the M785s previously on another bike, ample amount of stopping power and they were used for commuting too. Turned a few butt clenching moments in to a pleasure rather quickly (doors being opened, people crossing and not looking, cars changing direction without notice etc).

Have the M446s on my current ride and they do work, but wouldn't trust them in a situation like I have had on the M785s, appears to be no rapid bite or deceleration more of a gradual (exaggerated) slow down.

For the little extra I would rather go for the M785s knowing I had more power if needed in an emergency.

Just ordered the M785s for mine.

On the trails I think its mainly your fault if you have an accident, but commuting too many variables. Just my opinion. Probably 99.9% over powered for commuting but that 0.01% time when you really need it? Is saving a few green sheets worth it?

I'm just comparing my M446s to M785s, I don't know how the M616s compare to M785s, if it's the same then good choice.