Route request

okgo
okgo Posts: 4,368
edited May 2015 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone can advise me on the quickest most trouble free route from The Strand to Hillingdon cycle circuit. Last week I went through Kensington, then shep bush, uxbridge road and it was horrid.

Anything better out there?
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    I have been cycling to Hillingdon for years and roads are all crap, unless you can afford to take the Grand Union canal path, but of course you need suitable tyres.

However, the A 4020 Uxbridge Road has large sections of cycle path, some even segregated, so it's not as bad after all... worse on the way back, but by then you've done your race and maybe you can use the canal path to Brentford Lock... it's very pretty
    left the forum March 2023
  • okgo
    Which bit has cycle path?

After the race I head back south to surbiton so not a worry on way back...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • ugo.santalucia
    okgo wrote:
    Which bit has cycle path?

After the race I head back south to surbiton so not a worry on way back...

Admittedly it's the bit after the circuit and towards Uxbridge... but the A 4020 is not too bad, I've used it for years and I am still alive
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i genuinely dont know a better way. especially if you're on a TT bike. I wouldnt want to use canals...
  • okgo
    As soon as you get beyond Shep Bush its just dire.

Got abused by some yoot on scooters in Acton. If Iived out that way I wouldn't commute by bike, period.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    ... but the A 4020 is not too bad, I've used it for years and I am still alive
    survivorship bias :wink:
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • ugo.santalucia
    okgo wrote:
    As soon as you get beyond Shep Bush its just dire.

Got abused by some yoot on scooters in Acton. If Iived out that way I wouldn't commute by bike, period.

Well, it's not cycle friendly crowd, but I've had very few problems over the years... in Shepherds Bush you have to look out for stoned hippies and Rastamen... Acton and Ealing are OK... Southall smells nice and it's always jammed solid, so no risk there... Hayes and Hillingdon can be hairy at night, but you turn left before getting to the worst bits... the thing is you are a bit soft... :wink: