Insurance Replacement of 2005 Giant Trance 3

paulintheforest
paulintheforest Posts: 84
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm looking for some help. I had my 2005 Trance 3 stolen at the weekend. I'm mostly over the shock and anger now, but need to deal with the insurance. Fortunately we've got good new for old cover so I want to make sure I get the right bike.

My previous Trance 3 was the 2005 model with upgraded Shimano SLX brakes and Panaracer tires, but apart from that it was stock.

Spec below from Bikepedia
2005 Giant Trance 3

Bicycle Type Mountain bike, front & rear suspension
MSRP (new) $1,600.00
Weight Unspecified
Sizes 14.5", 16", 18", 20", 21"
Frame & Fork
Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material Aluxx SL aluminum
Fork Brand & Model Rock Shox Duke XC, 100mm travel
Fork Material Aluminum/magnesium, single crown
Rear Shock Fox Float R, 4" travel

Components
Brakeset Upgraded to Shimano SLX post 2012
Shift Levers Shimano Deore
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore LX SGS
Crankset Race Face Ride XC ISIS, 22/32/44 teeth
Pedals Shimano PD-M505 SPD
Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
Seatpost Easton EA50, 30.9mm diameter
Saddle WTB Rocket V
Handlebar Easton EA30
Handlebar Stem Easton EA50
Headset 1 1/8" integrated FSA Orbit Z

Wheels
Hubs Formula disc
Rims Mavic XM 117
Tires Upgraded to Panaracer Cinder folding
Spoke Brand Stainless steel

Now since buying the bike I have no idea of how the technology has moved on, my insurance is new for old with comparable spec, the max the insurance will pay out is £1250 but I can get a 22% discount at Wheelies Direct but also don't mind putting a bit more to it to get the right thing. I am assuming the insurance company will point me at the current Trance 3 which is a 27.5 wheel size @£1500. Is this bike still comparable? The spec looks to have dropped a level. Also is the wheel size worth getting? Are there other bikes with comparable spec to my old bike I ought to look at? I don't get out on my MTB too much these days, just looking for something that can do bridle paths, play in the mud on winter evenings and a few circuits of Swinley forest or similar.

Can anyone give me some advice so that I get the right bike? Most of my time is spent lurking in the commuting forum and most of my riding is road these days so I've got no idea what the right thing is.

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• You could argue that the Trance 2 is specced with SLX rather than the Deore of the 3.

But given that you are replacing a Trance 3 with a Trance 3 I imagine that's going to be a bit of a battle.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    To be honest, the deore kit on the Trance 3 is probably more advanced than the older kit on your old bike.

Not ridden the '3' but I own the Trance 2 and it's a great bike, i have made some upgrades but that's as much to suit my riding than anything else.
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    1250, jackpot
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Trance has moved on a long way in ten years, Giant have kept up with the best trail bikes. The new Deore components are very good and certainly better than SLX was ten years ago.
    I would be more than happy with the new Trance 3, it's a much better bike than your 2005 model in every way.