Semi Slick Tyres

azzaone
azzaone Posts: 6
edited May 2015 in MTB buying advice
I am currently riding a Cube Attention 29er and am running Schwable Smart Sams, I am going to do the London 2 Brighton and wanted to change the tyres for some more semi slick ones so i can roll faster but still have some grip for light trials.

What ones recommended?

What sizes will fit RFR ZX24 29er rims?

Thanks

Aaron

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would go for either a full off road slick such as a Thunder Burt (useless if it is AT ALL wet) or a Furious Fred (a bit more forgiving) or a treaded block tyre like a Kenda SB8.

Cube don't seem to publish the rim width, they usually come with 2.15 or 2.25" tyres but if you want faster rolling try and get narrower still like a 2.00"
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • azzaone
    azzaone Posts: 6
    Hi Rookie

The rim has 622x19mm on it!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In which case you can use anything from a 1.5" upwards.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I would go for either a full off road slick such as a Thunder Burt (useless if it is AT ALL wet) or a Furious Fred (a bit more forgiving) or a treaded block tyre like a Kenda SB8.

Other way around - Freds are useless if someone's sneezed within 20 feet of the trail, Burts are surprisingly competent even if it's a little wet. If Schwalbe are believed the Burt rolls faster despite being heavier and having more tread.

I would either do it properly and get a decent slick, you can go far narrower than 1.5" - 19mm is narrower than a lot of road rims these days, so you can go for a full on 23c road tyre if you're so inclined, or get something a bit more useful like a Burt/SB8 - a Furious Fred/Maxxlite 310/285 etc are a bit neither one thing nor t'other.

Or just MTFU, aero is the biggest challenge you face - bend your elbows. Makes a bigger difference. I'm not all that much slower on my MTB on 2.25" Rocket Rons at 30psi than on my road bike.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    If you are doing the London 2 Brighton, I would forget about the semis and go full-slick.
    I run 1.6 Continental Sports Contact on my Cube without problems.
    They also have additional puncture protection. Ridden four coast-2-coasts plus a few months commuting without issue.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)