Small amount of play in crank/bb

mattyfez
mattyfez Posts: 638
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Is this something to be concerned about, basically if I grab a pedal, and push/pull it towards the frame I can feel a tiny amount of play, maybe 1mm.

Just wondering if something is worn, similar issue with the rear wheel/hub, if I grab the saddle with one hand and the tyre with the other, I can rock the wheel from side to side maybe 1mm.. Enough to feel a tiny bit of movement.

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Should be no play at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What is the BB, and hub?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    cooldad wrote:
    What is the BB, and hub?

Unsure, it's a 2014/13 carrera vengeance, rear mech is sram, front mech is shimano, chain is kmc, crank arms are sram, can't see any branding on the hub so anybodies guess really!
  • cooldad
    OK, is it a two piece crank and cup and cone hubs (which can be adjusted easily), or a cartridge BB/cartridge hub, which may not be adjustable.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    Thanks, I have no idea, is it something I can check without dismantling?
  • cooldad
    Yep, by looking. At a guess, I would say cup and cone hubs, which can be serviced (read Parktools) and a cartridge BB, which can only be replaced.
    But first check that the cranks are tight.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    Thanks, I'll check the cranks are tight, if they are I may take the bike back to Halfords and see what they say, the definitely a tiny bit of play and I'm not too familiar with how that part of the bike operatates, if it's worn and non replaceable I'll look to squeezing a warranty replacement as the bikes only about 7 months old.
  • mattyfez
    Cheers, got a new bb installed, found out after I removed it it was the sealed variety,and definitely a bit crunchy!
    Needed one to keep me rolling asap so went to Halfords, unfortunately the £20 quid shimano one i was looking at wasn't in stock so got a ten quid one, chap in the shop said it was reasonably decent, better than the standard one anyway, so will see how it goes. Luckily my mate had the tools so it only cost a tenner plus a tube of grease, but now have plenty of grease left for other purposes.

Nice and smooth now, just the rear hub/bearings to sort.