Giro D'Italia- Stage 16 ***Spoilers***

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited June 2015 in Pro race
A great looking stage tomorrow with a 13km 6.5% hill straight off the bat, two climbs (15.3km @6.1% and 14km @ 3.5%) before they hit the legendary Mortirolo (11.9km @ 10.9%). The race then leads down and immediately onto the final climb (14km @ 3.5%) but has a 15% 12km from the end.

So there will be fierce competition to make the break and it is going to have to be an elite group to make it to the end. Then the question is whether a GC guy lets rip on the tough Mortirolo and goes for a long one or waits for the final stinger. Contador may well go for a long one if he is getting bored but if he doesn't and wants to win the stage then he is going to have to attack on the 15% ramp as he wont be beating Landa or Aru in a sprint. Will be tough if at that point he attacks and has a few Astana riders trying to chase him down.

In any case:
“Winning a stage would be secondary. You can’t put the overall at risk just to win a stage,” Contador said. “If it happens, that’s great, but the priority is the general classification. To win a stage would require a big effort, more than one hour of effort. And that’s a lot, just thinking about this week, never mind the other races to come.”

Would love to see a long one though, a la TA 14:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1hm2t ... pe-5_sport

stage16.jpg
Mortirolo-Pass-Climb-Profile.jpg

In 1994 Pantani conquered this climb in imperious fashion, setting a time of 42:40 (16.5 km/h average)
mortirolo1994.jpg
This stood until 1999 when Gotti, Hera and Simoni did it in 41:42 (16.83 km/h average)
mortirolo1999.jpg
Basso, Nibali and Scarponi did it in 44:39 in 2010
mortirolo2010.jpg
and Contador, Sella, Ricco, Rodriguez, Pozzovivo, Menchov and Simoni did it is a pedestrian 46:12 in 2008
mortirolo2008.jpg

More times here:
http://www.climbing-records.com/2015/05 ... es-on.html
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Why would Contador go for a long attack, when he'll surely be more focused on staying as fresh as possible for July?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    What's with the useless last climbs in this stage race?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    edited May 2015
    having ridden the mortirolo last year i'd say it's not actually that difficult. i've never taken any particular notice of it in a race though so will be good to see it....

but i've just noticed they'e climbing the side i descended so i'm talking rubbish

[EDIT] i wasn't talking rubbish, just lost my bearings.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • frenchfighter
    gsk82 wrote:
    having ridden the mortirolo last year i'd say it's not actually that difficult. i've never taken any particular notice of it in a race though so will be good to see it....

but i've just noticed they'e climbing the side i descended so i'm talking rubbish

15-17km/h average by the best pro climbers = very difficult
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    gsk82 wrote:

it was been hyped up on our trip as if we would be out the saddle grinding up it all the way. it was actually just like a yorkshire wolds climb, only 10 times as long.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • frenchfighter
    gsk82 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

it was been hyped up on our trip as if we would be out the saddle grinding up it all the way. it was actually just like a yorkshire wolds climb, only 10 times as long.

Fair enough but 10% x 1km <hard then 10% x 10km, more than 10x as hard!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    This is a sick sport. In a rational world, Contador's best-in-show race cruft and superb TT is top dog from early jersey wearer Nibali (+30"), Astana's A-Team and typical superior race strategy suprising everyone (again). Froome is 3rd (+1:15), recovering half his deficit from the early missed-split in the TT. Quintana looms menacingly in 4th (+1:30) recovering from early sickness to shred the field on S15's MTF.

Four natural born killers on bikes, only one of them competing in the sport's second most prestigious event. Meanwhile, caravans....
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    Breakaway win written all over this stage with the way the race is now set-up except in two situations:

- Astana ride as they have been so far and make it a hard stage
    - Someone dangerous to the podium contenders gets into the break and that relevant team (most likely Astana) have to ride early on to keep the break within a few minutes.
  • frenchfighter
    gsk82, I reckon you should start training to be a pro!

@friebos · 5m 5 minutes ago
    “It’s the hardest climb I’ve ever done. Savage. Long, steep and sick." - Mark Cavendish #Mortirolo
    @friebos · 3m 3 minutes ago
    "I was always scared of it. You’re just praying that your body won’t let you down.” - Gilberto Simoni. #Mortirolo
    @giroditalia · 4m 4 minutes ago
    @friebos "Il Mortirolo è il Maracanà del ciclismo." - Marco Pastonesi #Giro #Mortirolo
    @friebos · 2m 2 minutes ago
    "The Mortirolo? That thing just f**ks you up.” - Florido Barale (ex-Amore e Vita) #Mortirolo

@albertocontador · 40m 40 minutes ago
    Today GREAT STAGE,with capital letters at Giro.Tough day from the start,with mythical Mortirolo! #Giro
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    See what Simon Richardson thinks of the Mortirolo on GCN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwYCdNm7f0k
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    gsk82, I reckon you should start training to be a pro!

@friebos · 5m 5 minutes ago
    “It’s the hardest climb I’ve ever done. Savage. Long, steep and sick." - Mark Cavendish #Mortirolo
    @friebos · 3m 3 minutes ago
    "I was always scared of it. You’re just praying that your body won’t let you down.” - Gilberto Simoni. #Mortirolo
    @giroditalia · 4m 4 minutes ago
    @friebos "Il Mortirolo è il Maracanà del ciclismo." - Marco Pastonesi #Giro #Mortirolo
    @friebos · 2m 2 minutes ago
    "The Mortirolo? That thing just f**ks you up.” - Florido Barale (ex-Amore e Vita) #Mortirolo

@albertocontador · 40m 40 minutes ago
    Today GREAT STAGE,with capital letters at Giro.Tough day from the start,with mythical Mortirolo! #Giro

even Lance in his "prime" (2004) found it tough!

"It's a terrible climb...it's perfect for a mountain bike. On the hardest parts, I was riding a 39x27 and I was hurting, really hurting. (Mortirolo) is the hardest climb I've ever ridden. My time up the climb? It's not important; I rode the Mortirolo to have some fun and ride with the 'cicloamatori'...there were a few raindrops, but it was a great day."
  • frenchfighter
    @friebos · 41m 41 minutes ago
    "A 24-sprocket was Pantani's idea of blasphemy...but even he wanted one there." Beppe Martinelli (ex-Carrera DS Beppe Martinelli) #Mortirolo
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    we need a giant bonk from Alberto to bring this race back to life

can't see it happening somehow
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    gsk82 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Fair enough but 10% x 1km <hard then 10% x 10km, more than 10x as hard!

That gradient for that distance is hard....we did Curbar Edge a few weeks ago, which we realised after is in the '100 greatest UK climbs' book. 1.8km at 10.2%, it wasn't an out of the saddle grind but it wasn't pleasant, and to do something 6 times longer would be really really tough. I'm 68kg so not exactly a gorilla either!

Then to do it at 17/18 km/hr instead of the 10km/hr we averaged......not happening :oops:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    I've ridden up Swains Lane. Basically the same thing as the Mortirolo.
  • frenchfighter
    Live in 20 mins hopefully.

All kicking off aggressively for riders trying to get in the break.

Rain.

Gruppetto is already 1.30 back. Looong day for them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Over the top of the climb and it's Carlos Betancur who leads the way, followed by Pellizotti, Intxausti, Zardini and then Hesjedal.

Pellizotti and Zardini currently lead the race with a chase group of three at 20 seconds, and the main field a further 16 seconds adrift.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Zardini, Pellizotti, Felline, Bookwalter, De La Cruz, and Fernandez and Niemiec

Hesjedal

Peloton

Gruppetto
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Not the best break. Niemiec and Hesjedal might have what it takes though.

Pellizotti, Zardini, Bookwalter, De la cruz, Niemec, Fernandez, Felline, Hesjedal and Mihaylov

130km to race
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,180
    Would love Hesjedal to win...
    left the forum March 2023
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Pirazzi not in the break for the Mortirolo stage? Fail.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Supposed to be starting on Eurosport (Giro Extra) but all I have is loads of tennis.
  • frenchfighter
    Milton50 wrote:
    Pirazzi not in the break for the Mortirolo stage? Fail.

He was the first to try but Zardini was the one who made it. Wouldn't put it past him to attack later anyway.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    ThomThom wrote:
    What's with the useless last climbs in this stage race?

It is a bit odd to tack a boring 3% climb on the end of the stage after the Mortirolo. If at this point in the race the strong climbers were behind on GC then it would have worked out perfectly though. They would have been forced to attack over the Mortirolo.

As it is I think we'll see Contador easily riding on Astana's wheel followed by an easy run it to Aprica. Hopefully we'll see the likes of Amador and Konig try something.
  • frenchfighter
    Clarke has been chasing for 20 odd km and has managed to catch them! Nice work.

Gap steady at 1.30.

Looks cold out there with riders wrapped up a lot. No wonder all the Europeans want to come to the UK. Lovely sun outside here.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I've ridden up Swains Lane. Basically the same thing as the Mortirolo.

+1
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    @friebos · 41m 41 minutes ago
    "A 24-sprocket was Pantani's idea of blasphemy...but even he wanted one there." Beppe Martinelli (ex-Carrera DS Beppe Martinelli) #Mortirolo

Pretty sure I had more than a 23 too so Pantani had nothing to feel bad about:
    https://app.strava.com/activities/63640868#1203983543

11.4km @ 11% (1,258m ascent). 1h22. Easy peasy ;)

We came down the west side descent. It was awful - narrow, steep, rutted, pot holed and the tree cover means low light & no view... Hoping the S.E. descent they are doing today is significantly better.
    Rich
  • Macaloon
    edited May 2015
    ezpg87.png

Kruijswijk giving Ridgey the (PTP) ride of his life.
  • frenchfighter
    Weather in this race is never great and this edition is no exception. Ridiculous.
    Contador is the Greatest