is this any good?

Middx
Middx Posts: 43
edited May 2015 in MTB general
Hi i'm getting a bike handed down to me from my dad, for free. It's done very little miles and has been sitting in a garage since. My father used to race a lot and this was his ex race bike but it's had very little use. It fits me well and just needs a basic gear tune up.

This is ithttp://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2007&brand=Trek&model=Top+Fuel+SL

Is it still any good compared to the latest XC bikes?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Who cares. It's free and if it works it works.....
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If it's actually that model the fact it's v-brake is probably the biggest 'issue'. That said, if you're in the UK they didn't import any v-brake models of that bike.

It'll be fine, not the best, but more than enough bike!
  • Middx
    Thanks for the reply, I think it is a european model as my father did race abroad a lot, but we live in the UK. Hope to do some small races on it, I know it hasn't the latest tech on it but it's my first proper XC bike.
  • njee20
    So does it have v-brakes, or disc?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    It will be great, but a word of advice - dont spend any money on it, at least nothing other than service/wear and tear. Its a fine enough bike, but not deserving of any major upgrades. Go out, ride it, have fun. Look after it and it will do just fine.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Middx
    It has shimano XTR disc brakes front and rear
  • njee20
    Sounds great. Use it and enjoy it.