What should my next bike be?

wrightbg
wrightbg Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I got my first road bike 3 years ago having taken a fairly typical route from London commute hybrid to wanting something faster/more 'roady' for longer 40-50 mile rides.

I got myself a Specialized Allez Sport 2013 from Evans for about £700 after using the trade in offer. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec040965

It's been great and just what I was after in price bracket - nippy, robust, pretty light. It's been great on Sportives (HOTA etc) and long rides. I even got it round L'Etape last year on it and it wasn't found wanting.

It's starting to show a bit of wear though (creaks become more insistent and it needs more regular work etc) and I have the money to make a step up. No idea what to get though!

My budget is probably between 1-1.5k. I am not tied to a particular brand and know that I'm limited in terms of what I can get for that money. I swing between getting a 'step up' bike (another Specialized further up the range) or something a little less off the peg (I'm in love with a beautiful Holdsworth I saw in my LBS, but almost exclusively based on the colour!)

Would I be better spending less on the frame and investing in the wheels etc? What have people in similar situations gone for? What would you go for in my situation?

Any advice much appreciated...

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    That's plenty of money to be spending.

Instead of something off the peg, why not get a bike that is unique to you and that you will love.

As a starting point, what about the following:
    Genesis Volare frame and carbon forks from Paul Milnes
    Full 105 11 speed groupset
    Handbuilt wheels, maybe some Archetypes
    Whatever finishing kit takes your fancy - I like Deda

You'd be able to do that build comfortably under 1500 quid and you'll end up with a beautiful bike that will be completely unique to you, plus you'll have a lot of fun researching and choosing all the parts.
  • wrightbg
    wrightbg Posts: 3
    Very helpful - thanks!
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I'm biased (ride an R5 and think it's perfect) but I would find it hard to look past a cervelo r2. Lovely frame, very nice handling geo, lots of scope for upgrades.